Purchasing UA Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Lisa, Jul 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone.....

I need some advice please.

I just purchased travel from Orlando to Hong Kong for October 2015. We are going via San Francisco.
    The tickets were $900 r/t for economy.

I am taking my wife who just overcame a pulmonary embolism a few years ago, and my father in law, that was one of two final places on his bucket list at 76 years old.

I am trying to see if it's worth it to purchase miles from people willing to sell; we need 30,000 per person to upgrade to business class, so a total of 90,000 miles, plus I would pay an additional $600 per person to get business class. It's worth it for the room and given their past and future circumstances.

I need some insight to see if people will sell their miles and I purchase, or should I forget it.

Even when I look at economy plus, the agent indicated for me to purchase the global, and 10 people can fly for $2400.....that's steep for me for just this trip. I won't use UA after this, not from what I can see.

Any suggestions on how this can be accomplished from those jet setters out here? o)

Thanks!!!!

8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also just purchase E+ for the segments in question rather than the annual subscription. It should be $1100 for the subscription; I don't know where the $2400 number comes from.

You can buy the 30,000 points from UA at about $600 using Award Acceleraor. That means you're paying $1200 each way to upgrade per passenger. That comes out to ~$3300 all-in per person, including the original fare, but that also assumes the upgrade inventory is available. It would be a shame to buy the miles and then not have the upgrade clear, effectively leaving you stuck with the points.

Beyond that there is no legit way to buy the miles as you're proposing. And buying from (or selling to) a random stranger on the Internet is a good way to get an account closed, upgrades revoked or various other issues.

Pizzaman, 8MiHi and Newscience like this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response and recommendation.

The UA agent indicated it's $2400 for Global economy plus, as Asia is not within the normal route

I am so far out of the loop in regard to purchasing of miles etc, so I am not trying to get anyone kicked out or anything. That's why I asked the questions, in order to do it the correct way.

Thanks Again!

8MiHi likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    satman40 and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    whether or not you buy miles (legitimately) or not you should surely consult your wife's MD re: things to do to prevent further clotting issues (on long flights even in business!), like compression hose, blood thinners (see if taking an aspirin prior to travel is appropriate with her doc)

6. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Status Points:
    First off, I never knew it was illegal to do or ask someone to sell their miles.
    I surely wasn't asking for any freebies, but a general question of asking, AND offering to pay for miles.
    So, on that note, a person can indicate they would not like to do it, instead of losing the miles....
    Next off, sit down and take a seat. Obviously you never asked someone to sell you something Mr. Perfect

7. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice estnet. She wear compression stockings now on long flights.
    I appreciate the concern ;O)