Purchasing local GSM SIM cards in various locations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by keepinitsimple, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be travelling to Hong Kong, US and Paris on vacation. Would anybody have info on whether it is possible to easily purchase pre-paid local SIM cards (GSM not CDMA) at these places? Will save quite a bit on roaming fees.

If the pre-paid plan has data in addition to voice, that is a bonus. Also will they have the mini-SIM for the iphone4?

Thanks in advance.

milchap likes this.
  2. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in Cannes in may and trying to figure out best way to deal with calls on my iPhone. Right now im just planning to use my skype and wifi

3. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Paris last month and was able to easily purchase a data SIM for my MiFi at the Orange store on Place de la Madeleine.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Original Member
    Original Member

Original Member Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hongkong is easy... go to 7-11 in the airport on the 1st floor and buy a card there. I got service from "3" and was happy.

In the US, depending on what city you are in, your choice is AT&T or T-mobile. Neither has any strong advantages. AT&T stores are everywhere. Also, Amazon.com has the sim chips.

I'd recommend either buying a microsim cutter or alternatively checking an exact-o-knife in your luggage to trim the card. Here's a youtube video on how to cut it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B0G_qjebJY . Also, google "microsim template pdf" and you can get one to print out and bring with you.

5. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That was helpful!