Purchasing Emirates Airmiles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by edna, Aug 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. edna

edna New Member

Status Points:
    How do you buy Emirates airmiles?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    whether you purchase miles or have them transferred to your account, 25k miles is the maximum per year and I can assure you that 25k miles will get you very little on Emirates :eek:

to transfer the points you will pay 62% of what is cost to buy the points from Emirates as a transfer fee, so there is little incentive to sell points

IMO they are only worth buying if you need a few thousand points to reach a reward flight or upgrade point total

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    MX likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to redeem on emirates, maybe consider a partner like alaska as well.

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I flew Emirates from Sydney Australia to Christchurch NZ. I bought coach tickets and was able to upgrade for (I think!) 15,000 miles per person. I transferred them from AMEX MR and it was instant and could not have been easier.

Mikus33 and satman40 like this.
  6. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the forum edna.

Since you appear to be new to this miles game, I will recap what others have said,
    1. You can buy only 25K miles/year from Emirates at the link provided above. That is too little to use for any award travel.
    2. If multiple people in your household bought them, then you could have them transfer their miles into your account to bring the total to a level where you could get an award ticket. But the transfer fee for transferring miles from one account to another one is prohibitively expensive.
    3. AMEX has a membership rewards (MR) credit card. These MR points can be transferred to an Emirates account. So that will be one way to acquire Emirates miles without paying for them. AMEX has in the past offered a sign up bonus of 25K to 100K MR points at different times and with a different minimum spend on their credit cards.
    4. Alaska Airlines partners with them as do many other airlines. So if you have miles in the accounts of other partner airlines, you might be able to use them to get an award ticket on Emirates.
    5. Emirates miles in small numbers can come in handy for upgrades from coach, when flying Emirates.

So, the bottom line is, apply for an AMEX MR credit card, transfer the bonus earned to Emirates; couple that with 25K miles/year that you can buy from Emirates to get an award ticket on Emirates. Secondly, if you have miles stashed away in one of their partner airline accounts, you could use them to fly Emirates.

Any more questions?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    satman40 and jonspencer like this.
  7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    question - do you get MR points with any AMEX card ?

seems like my AMEX from HK does not offer MR but not certain :eek:

8. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    satman40 likes this.