Purchasing Ambassador status for upcoming award stays?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by vbkamb, Mar 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. vbkamb

vbkamb Active Member

Status Points:
    I have seen the recent discussions on purchasing Ambassador status for Intercontinental hotels and am looking for some advice as to whether or not it would be worth it for me.

1) I am currently only a platinum member of IHG, no status with Intercontinental (aka Amb or RA)

2) I have an upcoming 4 night stay at the Intercontinental San Juan next week, but all nights are from the sweet dilemma promo, so no regular paid nights.

3) I also have 2 upcoming nights at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Ocean Z, but I assume Ambassador would mean nothing here as it is not an Intercontinental stay and these are award nights as well.

4) I have two nights upcoming at the Intercontinental Rome and these are award nights.

All of my travel is purely leisure, so I dont know how many more nights I would be at an Intercontinental this year, though I do live close to the Intercontinental Montelucia and I suppose I could use the free weekend night cert for a weekend stay there when prices drop a bit come summer time.

But do you think I will get much value if these are my only stays for the rest of the year on the books?

-Bill

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For your stays at the Crowne Plaza, Ambassador status will not mean anything.
    For your stays at the Intercontinental San Juan and Intercontinental Rome, I believe that even if your stays are award stays you should get a room upgrade if you have Amb status, but it may be better to check the FlyerTalk forum since it has more information on how elites are treated in various hotel (for now).
    You can try to see what the price differential is for a one-level upgrade for rooms at the ICs and see if the total is greater than the amount you pay for the Ambassador status.
    Of course price alone isn't the only thing to look at; if you will be spending most of your time outside your room and will only be back to sleep and shower then a room upgrade may not be of much worth. (only looks good on paper)

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my limited IC experience, I think it is a YMMV deal but it tends towards the upgrade. I got upgraded on Sweet Dilemma nights in Paris, Berlin and just last night in DC. I may have gotten an upgrade in London but the desk clerk couldn't (wouldn't?) give me an answer that I could decipher.

Cheers -

Tim O'Brien and NewCokeandTaco like this.
  4. NewCokeandTaco
    Original Member

NewCokeandTaco Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I would purchase Ambassador status if I had your planned upcoming stays.

Being an ambassador will increase your chances of receiving upgrades/benefits even on award and free nights. You have 6 nights already set up and you will most likely use the Ambassador BOGO if you sign up. That means your $200 US investment costs about $25 US per night. You can also use 32,000 Priority Club points to purchase your status. Enrollment will allow you to try out the Ambassador experience for a full year (from sign up date). Should you have enjoyable stays at Intercontinentals, you can then renew your Ambassador status next year for $100 US.
    Good Luck.

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  5. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know this was possible. I thought you could only renew Ambassador status with points, not to initially purchase[​IMG] I hope I'm wrong.

Gargoyle and NewCokeandTaco like this.
  6. NewCokeandTaco
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You may be correct, and thank you for the update. Until recently, you were able to use points or cash to buy your initial Ambassador membership. I just checked the website and it looks like the points option may be gone.

Interestingly, the Ambassador FAQ on the Intercontinental website still lists it as an option:
    http://www.intercontinental.com/intercontinental/en/gb/ambassador/faq

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may also wish to purchase AMB from the property on arrival. It is reported they receive compensation for the sale and show their gratitude to the buyer (nicer upgrades).

Tim O'Brien and NewCokeandTaco like this.
  8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought ambassador a few weeks ago for 32,000 points [​IMG]

9. NewCokeandTaco
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you use points through the website link, or did you call?

10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got mine for points and had to call.

And another point in the buy it column is the 4PM check out.

11. vbkamb

vbkamb Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I am still up in the air as to whether it makes sense or not to do so, but I appreciate all the feedback.

12. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Website link [​IMG]

13. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next step is to convince the queen to let you stay at ICs this year :)

14. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Biggest problem is finding hotels in the places I have to go to! I'm staying a night in Omiya next month -can't find a single hotel I want to stay at...

15. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Omiya in Saitama? Nearest one would be like 1hr away :(

sendaiben likes this.
  16. let's face it, the cost of ambassador pays for itself with the BOGO plus all the other benefits, from a marketing perspective all IHG want is a commitment, and then ongoing.