Purchased F RDU-LAX for $360

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mike Reed, Aug 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short version: I'd booked RDU-LAX (non-stop) for tonight in T (L/U/T, I think T) for around $153 (a/i o/w). Checked last night and the F fare was $360. After a quick check with the boss, "threwaway" the coach ticket ($3 voucher after $150 fee) and bought the $360 F fare. Although I'm an upgrade-eligible Alaska MVP Gold, there were only 2 seats left and I'd be at the bottom of the list... so I wanted to guarantee the seat.

Incredibly cheap for 5+ hours of paid F, even if it is domestic F. Better yet, I'm crediting to Alaska, who gives MVP Gold the 100% elite bonus as well as a paid-F 50% bonus, for 250% of the miles flown total.

Meal service on this route should be Dinner, since it leaves at 7:59... but reading other threads the actual dinner content looks iffy.

Anyone out there regularly fly this route with any advice?

flyingdawg and rwoman like this.
  2. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's before 800p, you'll get dinner service - normally a choice of chicken or pasta. Had some friends do that flight last month and they got hot meal service on it.

flyingdawg and Mike Reed like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    1 hour before the flight and that last seat is still open. No idea what the UG list looks like - I'm in the SkyClub.

BTW, I really, really like RDU as an airport. Reminds me a lot of Detroit (which Randy has called his favorite) but brighter/more open, and relatively smaller. Great shops, really good food options, and simple to get around.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Given the diet I'm on and my eating schedule today I ended up having a relatively large meal in the terminal an hour and a half ago (really late lunch). This should free me up to pick/choose dinner or the snack basket.

I'm down 75 pounds, give or take 1 or 2, and no longer require a belt extender (which is really, really nice). I won't feel bad just eating the lean protein and veggies if this is the case. :)

5. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the weight loss! I know its not easy!

flyingdawg and SC Flier like this.
  6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never paid a change fee when "buying up" on a ticket.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't thrilled, but I had a non-refundable ticket. I'll probably submit a request to Delta Customer Service after I get home. I've also got zero status on Delta.

ryandc99 and flyingdawg like this.
  8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way to go Mike! Good for you.

ryandc99 likes this.
  9. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    You definitely should not have been charged a change fee if you stayed on the same flight. No change fee to buy up a cabin. Make sure to follow up and you'll get your $150 back.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know - I'll do that today. Thanks!