Purchase EQM for Plat status?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreekDeno, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't find this in my stfa, but if it's been discussed before I apologize. I got an email a little while back from UA about purchasing eqm to get to premier plat. My 2011 balance is 70054 EQM and 5k more costs $1145. Status would be from Mar 3-Jan 31. At first I balked at paying the money, but after a recent Europe trip that would have cost $550+20k miles for a business upgrade I am rethinking it given the 2 swu's/gpu's. 23 cpm seems high. Thoughts? My only ytd booked longer hauls are to ANC (from DEN) in the summer, but I anticipate at least one more Europe or maybe South America trip later in the year.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plat doesn't get you upgrades on international routes. No level except GS does, So I'd look at that and probably balk at the price too. You are already *G so you have the international lounge access. You get the SWU's at 1k IIRC.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP needs to do some research. He/she believes that Plat status comes with two SWUs but others assert that only 1Ks receive SWUs, more than two of them. Start by verifying this from official UA/CO sources. Then investigate the T&C on the new SWUs, including the required fare class and any co-payments. Do not assume.

HaveMilesWillTravel and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I was way off on that one. Thanks for clarifying what I didn't see before. I will continue to balk at their $1145 price.

Muerl likes this.
  6. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Further, remember that using a SWU requires purchasing a W fare. This may (or may not) be substantially more expensive than what you are already considering purchasing.

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The confusion may be coming from the fact that plats get 2 regional upgrade certs.

8. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. I misunderstood what upgrades they got. Regional's aren't worth $1145 to me.