Purchase a mobile for use in EU/UK ~ 3 months use

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Cosmos Human, Jan 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll need to purchase a mobile phone to be used in the EU and UK 3 or more months. First stop will be FRA. My current mobile is with Verizon, won't work.

Trying to keep cost down, what are my options? I sort of know about SIM cards...I'm a rank beginner so be gentle.

Thanking you in advance.

CH

2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Verizon phone is a no for UK, too. I buy a prepaid cell when there the first time, and I reload the phone whenever I go back. Someone else more knowledgeable about SIMs might be able to help with those.

http://www.o2.co.uk/topup

3. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are a ton of phones on ebay. Make sure that the phone is unlocked that way you can put any sim card in it and it will work. You can go on the bestbuy site they also have unlocked phones, but at a higher cost. In FRA there has to be a phone shop as you leave customs. As for the sim I would stick with vodafone or T-mobile as both will work in the UK and Germany. I have had vodafone for years on the UK network, and use it for roaming throughout the EU. Look at www.prepaidgsm.net they have all the national cell phone dealers. You can see the website and check on the cost. I hope this helps.

4. Cosmos Human
    Original Member

Cosmos Human Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both for the great advice! I will now do my research.