Puerto Rico Hilton advice

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by tulane09, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to go to Puerto Rico with the fiance for Memorial Day. Trying to decide between the two Waldorf Astoria properties and the Caribe. We want a beach and more couple orientated than family. Any advice?

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Willie & I have been to Puerto Rico many many times, fantastic fun island, good food. We've also stayed at every Hilton. The real beauty of Puerto Rico is outside of San Juan, which is not much of a city. (you can have fun for a few days but after that, you'll want to get out to the rest of the island). So I can't recommend you stay your entire trip at the Caribe.

The big benefit of the two WA properties is the private island that one has access to via shuttle ferry. El Con will be much more of a family atmosphere.
    We stayed at Las Casitas and it was very quiet.

Two of the best properties on the island of Puerto Rico are The Horned Dorset Primavera on the west side of the island (Rincon area) and St Regis Bahia Beach which is NE side of island (East of San Juan)

We've also had very good stays at the Copamarina Beach Resort on SW side of PR (Guanica) but the copa isn't the level of luxury of the Horned Dorset or St Regis. Same can be said of the Wyndham Rio Mar, not the most luxurious but great beach, close to El Yunque rainforest & Luquillo beach (& the food kiosks there).

There is then the island of Vieques off the East side of PR, there is the W Vieques.

If you do go, here is a good thread on Puerto Rico: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/puerto-rico-for-thanksgiving-suggestions.18599/
    -

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    viguera and uggboy like this.
  3. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:

I've stayed at Copamarina as well. Unfortunately we're only going to be in PR for 3 nights and I don't want to waste the time driving. Any experience at the Caribe? Sounding like Las Casitas is the best bet for under $300/night.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're not married to Hilton, remember that the St. Regis, the two Ritz-Carlton properties and the W at Vieques are Virtuoso properties.

You get daily full breakfast (continental at the W) and $100 credit ($150 at Dorado Beach). Might wanna hit up @Linda Terrill if you're interested.

desamo, uggboy and tulane09 like this.
  5. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not married to Hilton, just looking for a nice hotel under $300/night. St Regis would be nice but over double my budget for this trip. I'm Hilton gold so hopefully get breakfast included anyway.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only for 3 nights and you've never been to San Juan, then go for the Caribe, you'll have a good time. If you've been to San Juan before, then for sure get out of town.

If you do end up staying at El Con or Las Casitas, for dinner: One of the best meals we had in Puerto Rico was at a place ¼ mile from the resort entrance, a place called La Estacion TERRIFIC service (for Puerto Rico) and good food in an outdoor setting, well worthwhile. Kevin is owner and chef. We had a number of items: green papaya salad with ginger sofrito vinaigrette, Caribbean chicken wings with a spicy passion fruit sauce (I’m not a chicken wing guy, these were delicious), mofongo w/skirt steak, spare ribs w/guava BBQ sauce.

uggboy, viguera and tulane09 like this.
  7. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked Las Casitas. Thanks Sweet Willie. Getting 10% off for founders card so only slightly more than Caribe.

uggboy and viguera like this.
  8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, as a Hilton Diamond, I wouldn't stay at any of the Hilton properties again, but then I had a memorable (not in a good way) stay at the former Conrad (now Hilton) in San Juan.

Imagine having had no sleep, a tidge too much alcohol (and thus a resulting headache), and seeing this at six in the morning when you arrived. That was, arguably, the best thing that happened that stay. (I actually love the intense orangeness, just -- not quite so much of it under the circumstances.)

[​IMG]

Sweet Willie and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember staying there and they had somehow "lost" my reservation. It was all kinds of fun (not).

I've sworn off Hilton in PR as well myself based solely on that.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had two bad stays at Hiltons in PR. The Conrad was deflagged to a Hilton shortly after I wrote the CEO about the second one. (Though I don't know if that was why it was deflagged.)