Puerto Rico - Christmas 2013 on Southwest

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Traveling Momma, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all -

We are considering using RR miles and companion pass to fly a family of 3 from Chicago to Puerto Rico December 20th - 28th. I settled on this after having great difficulty finding 3 award seats anywhere else that was further up on my list of places to visit (warm and nice beaches). I've been to Puerto Rico and stayed at El Convento in Old Town and then over on Viequez for a few days.

Can anyone provide guidance on what they might consider one of the prettiest beach resorts anywhere on the island? Also, we want to make a trip to El Yuque and do some less beachy type activities too so any of these suggestions would be very helpful.

We're active and adventurous and need to have good food, an awesome resort and interesting things to do outside of just beach for two adults and a 5 year old. We aren't price restricted so expense hotel suggestions are fine and its even better if I can use SPG, Hilton or Marriott points.

Thanks
    TM (AKA: Blue)

MX, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    WOW! :) I'm happy for you and everyone else who's in that position.

Enjoy Puerto Rico. Sweet Willie suggests a great thread there.

Traveling Momma, MX and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Hard work and high risk puts me in this position. I've offered it to a handful of young, smart men but none have been able to muster through. If you want the big reward you must be willing to sacrifice. Many times that sacrifice is too much risk for most. Maybe I'm too optimistic or just plain dumb because I'm not afraid to lose or fail :)

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hilton Caribe resort isn't bad. It has a pool complex that includes a swim up bar, an old fort on the grounds, caged birds in the lobby, an aviary (with peacocks, etc.), and very pretty hammocks strung between palm trees on their private beach. If you're feeling energetic, you can walk to old town San Juan, including the fort. It's also reasonably close to the airport. IME Hilton elites are treated very well, including not only breakfast in the lounge across the lobby but also a generous free reception with at least free wine every late afternoon.

The downside is the size. It's a bit of a convention hotel. Don't expect great concierge service, etc. Their standard rooms aren't great but the upgrades for even lower tier HH elites are very nice, including high floors with sea views.

Traveling Momma and uggboy like this.
  6. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Puerto Rico will have to wait. We ended booking SW on points and CP, booked The Renaissance Orlando at Seaworld with my Marriott points for 2 nights, paid $135/night for 1 night and then we'll rent a car and drive down to Hollywood where well stay at the Westin Diplomat for 5 nights on SPG points. The Diplomat is pricing out at $345/night so "spending" 47,000 SPG points was good for me. Merry Christmas to me!

Sweet Willie likes this.