PSA: keep an eye on your SSL certs, no matter where you are...

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by viguera, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lionell, Sammich, MX and 3 others like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not know this was not widely known. I'm not sure it's intentional or bad coding/process related to authenticating and redirecting to gogo, but this occurs regularly. Usually restarting the device or connection resolves the issue. Your browser should make it clear if you are using a valid certificate - if they were legitimately able to forge a "fake" certificate the suggested countermeasures would be worthless.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Gogo strictly a WiFi provider or do they potentially have access to plane's wired components (e.g. USB power ports)?

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Highly likely that Gogo is strictly a wifi provider. Airlines wouldn't give electrical access to them that easily.

Plus, it would require significant work retrofitting access for Gogo.

5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight in 2 days. Will check it out in greater detail. Seems like Gogo acted as an SSL CA and signed the Google SSL wildcard. The behavior exhibits closely to a forward proxy server. Which is most likely what Gogo is doing. However it's a poor choice of doing a self sign cert.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is per-se no harm using a self-signed SSL. And in case of Gogo Inc, it is the last few feet :)

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they're using their certs for everything else... And you think your gmail session is secure.

anileze likes this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    But Google uses its own SSL, so Gmail is secure.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    How can it be secured if the certificate presented by https://mail.google.com is signed by Gogo and not by Google? The sole purpose of SSL/TLS is to assure you that the channel between you and the other side is secure. If the traffic is being altered so that when you browse youtube or gmail you're receiving a fake certificate, then you have to assume that all traffic over that channel could be compromised.

And Gogo has admitted to doing this, albeit according to them it's for "traffic shaping" purposes, to prevent people from using youtube and suck up the limited bandwidth. They could have certainly gone about this different ways, other than creating a fake certificate for *.google.com signed by them.

Lionell and anileze like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I misread and misinterpreted.

11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my mobile now so don't have further details but I heard that Gogo stopped pretending to be a CA for Google?

12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard that as of this morning they're issuing valid, properly signed *.google.com certs.

Sammich likes this.
  13. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news. I'm assuming they resorted to other methods into limiting YouTube usage.

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I was Google, I would have retaliated by redirecting all requests from Gogo to a static page that explained in easy to understand terms what the implications of Gogo's doing are... And then offer a one-click-button complaint form directed at Gogo's CEO. Not being able to access any Google services would quickly come to bite Gogo where it hurts.

Lionell and Sammich like this.
  15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been in a gogo flight since this whole debacle started, but I'm thinking that they either switched to a hard block as before or are using some sort of traffic shaping that allows short videos (like vine or IG) while preventing the data hogs like youtube and Netflix.

Lionell and Sammich like this.