Proud to Be One of the World's Worst Hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Nov 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/proud-worlds-worst-hotels/story?id=17696356#.UKEkyGe42qI

[​IMG]

The good news? This hotel is a bargain, no room costs more 25 euros per night. The bad news: You get what you pay for.

It may be the worst hotel in the world.

The people who own the Hans Brinker Budget Hostel in Amsterdam wrote the book on the subject with a simple idea in mind: If you were warned in advance, you can't complain after you arrive. Some of the Hans Brinker's advertising slogans include: "It can't get any worse. But we'll do our best" or "Improve your immune system – stay at Hans Brinker!" And this "honest" humorous approach works, if you judge by the high percentage of the hotel's 511 beds in 127 rooms that are occupied these days.

The hotel's target clientele are mostly students and backpackers, who can appreciate the sarcastic humor and the price. The Hans Brinker ads make extremely modest claims: "Now with beds in every room" or "Now more rooms without a window," to go with the modest rate.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/proud-worlds-worst-hotels/story?id=17696356#.UKEkyGe42qI

uggboy and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing indeed, I wouldn't be proud.

3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good twist on an old joke.

For a hostel I am sure this works quite well.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brings back memories of the Hotel Bryan in Amsterdam which was my first European accommodation. It wasn't much to brag about but it kept us dry and warm....almost too warm with the fire alarm going off twice in one night! Ah the good old days when I didn't need to be impressed by comfort.

TRAVELSIG likes this.