Protecting us from...the electronic devices?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a recent AA flight, I was surprised to be informed that "according to FAA guidelines" my iPad couldn't remain in the seat pocket, but had to be either laid down on the floor below the seat in front of me, or in the bin above. Since the announcement clearly explained the flight attendants were there for our safety and nothing more, I had to wonder how much safer we were with the items out if reach.... (this was after the same flight attendant fully confirmed with each and every passenger that their seatbelt was indeed on and fastened.

So what do you say? Was this an over zealous safety expert? A rarely appreciated employee on a power trip? Or have the FAA rules really become this stringent?

sobore, perryplatypus and uggboy like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if it's the FAA or not, but I've heard the same on other carriers' flights as well...

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a link to a clarification on the article in question. It's a real FAA reg

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/info/all_infos/media/2009/InFO09018.pdf

perryplatypus, LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  4. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That's interesting! So now the real question is if an iPad (2) is considered a "small, lightweight item". Which I assume is up to the FA's discretion.
    Gotta love regulations!

5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Small? Lightweight? I'd consider anything more than a tissue "too big" ;)

rwoman likes this.
  6. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard this on a couple of flights too so I just hide my iPad behind the magazines :)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  7. If I'm in the bulkhead I always put my iPad in the magazine rack and my Bose headphones case stuck between my seat and the airplane wall. I've never been told not to do that.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

perryplatypus likes this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find it odd it can not remain in the seat pocket. If the device is off, not sure the advantage of putting it in another location. :confused:

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    New?? For years now pax have been told not to put their laptops in the seat pocket... . i-pad not much lighter than a small laptop . This topic has been discussed extensively and is as just redux of when Kindles came on the scene.

That said I cannot understand the problem people have in doing this I pray you are not the recepient of a "flying I-pad" during turbulence .. which strangely enough is the reason for such a request.:)

LETTERBOY and Mapsmith like this.
  10. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have heard this on other airlines as well (typically commuter lines) - not sure I agree with it. I see people put large books in there and they weigh much more than iPads and Kindles. If it is a weight issue than it should apply to Everything! (IMHO)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Details, details...:D

12. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown a decent amount, and can't imagine the turbulence required to dislodge my iPad from the seat pocket. And remember, the rule only applies to take off and landing, not during flight...it's fine to have them in the seat pocket (or your lap or wherever) then. I personally find it quite silly.

OceanBreezes and perryplatypus like this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whatever... but the FAA rules as posted above do exist so that pretty much answers the initial question doesnt it?

Silly rules abound in flying and for that matter all aspects of life ... feel fine to ignore the ones you dont like or consider silly:)

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  14. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's turbulence that they are really concerned about, but rather the plane going down during takeoff or landing and that iPad either getting flipped up into someone's head or somehow blocking an egress. Yes, it's just a little iPad but....

rwoman likes this.
  15. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, and yes, the question's answered and I appreciate knowing. The funny part to me though is that she instructed me to just lay it under the seat in front of me on the floor.

If the plane did go down or something terrible happened, I'd hate to think how easy it could turn into a projectile. (vs securely sandwiched in the seat pocket :) )

Lesson learned...hide the iPad behind the magazines :)

perryplatypus likes this.
  16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, so deliberately break the rule...since your iPad might not be a threat if something happens.

Anyway, maybe the FAA will change things...

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/disruptions-time-to-review-f-a-a-policy-on-gadgets.31303/

17. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The idea is that a severe jolt / turbulence could turn it into a "projectile" hitting you or somebody else. (If I had to pick, I suppose I'd prefer a magazine and not some metallic gadget to land on my face or head.) Presumably any item under a seat would be blocked by that seat.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. FlyMe Marc

FlyMe Marc Active Member

Status Points:
    So the FAA Info Notice is just guidance for an air carrier to observe and possibly create company policy for...it is not a ruling.

When I was in the industry I owned the flight attendant manual and this was a hot topic. It is very hard to police and creates issues in customer service. What I did was I wrote a policy that still did not allow laptops or large books be placed into the seatback pockets, but I did allow for the placement of "reading tablets" in the pocket. I found out what the max design weight capacity of the pocket was and then determined that "reading tablets" were below this even with the safety information card placed there. Now when the FAA CSI was reviewing the policy they got their panties all twisted, but since it was guidance not a rule we were complying fully. They said that what happens when "reading tablets" get bigger and we argued that technology is just getting smaller and lighter.

However, even though some laptops are ligher/smaller I just flat out banned them from the seatback pocket, just easier from a compliance aspect.