Pros/Cons of Combined PNRs with non-status Partner

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by mrredskin, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to have Gold on DL and the gf will still have nothing. What are the pros/cons of having her PNR linked to mine? The only three I'm very familiar with is delays/changes having us bothed linked, at least one upgrade clearing, and being able to have her moved up to priority/exit seating with me.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you say 'linked' do you mean booked together, same PNR? If so, the only downside is IROPS protection (you may get it automatically but not the companion) but that's a risk.

Priority seating isn't dependent on same PNR so it doesn't matter.

upgrades will clear earlier for the GM (both window and ranking position as you fall to the bottom when on same PNR). Also baggage allowance is at the higher level on same PNR bookings.

If you mean simply a 'link' of the PNR's there is NO pro or con as this is just a note in the record that is unlikely to help in most cases.

mrredskin likes this.
  4. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    The companion upgrade is IMHO a major perk that requires both of you being on the same PNR. Also is you are using a DL AMEX CC that gives you the free baggage allowance for members of your party on the same PNR that is another major perk and savings.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's incorrect. Same PNR is not required for companion upgrade.

6. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand corrected. From DL.com:

• You and companion have different reservation numbers:

Your upgrade will clear based on your individual member status and confirmation window. Your companion’s will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to the flight's departure.
    • You and companion share same reservation number:

Both your upgrades will clear no sooner than 24 hours prior to the flight's departure.

mrredskin and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just had an interesting situation- I had cleared at the 5 day window, my companion didn't book until two days prior to the flight. I met him at the skyclub an hour before the flight, they looked up his skymiles number (that is necessary for companion upgrade; his skymiles acct. had been dormant almost 20 years but they found it in the system) and his upgrade cleared at the gate.

The next morning I called SMS to see if he was on the return u/g list (returning that same afternoon), they put him on the list and he cleared immediately.

RSSrsvp likes this.
  8. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    by linked I meant different PNRs because I had to book both separately.

correct, priority seating doesn't matter.

I was under the impression that having them linked would help I'm cases of IROPS and other delays?

9. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically it should.

Realistically... no chance in heck. The "link" is simply a note in the PNR. If you have IROPS it'll be a computer or person rebooking, likely neither will see the comment... if it's IROPS rebooking that you initiate (SC, phone etc...) then that might help.