Proposal: A Commerce Exchange Sub-Forum for Members

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Canarsie, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the true intent of milepoint.com is to build a cohesive community of frequent fliers, I recommend considering that a sub-forum, or child forum, should be added for commercial interactions between milepoint.com members, whether that sub-forum resides in either the Community Center, Concourse Z or Off Topic forums.

This proposed sub-forum would include but not necessarily be limited to such information as job opportunities and business opportunities posted by fellow milepoint.com members for fellow milepoint.com members. The thought process supporting this suggestion is that if a milepoint.com member needs to hire someone, needs to be hired, needs to secure the professional services of a company or is seeking customers and clients, there is no better place to start than with trusted and respected fellow milepoint.com members.

The premise is for milepoint.com members to support each other in every way possible to further strengthen the milepoint.com community.

Thank you in advance for taking this proposal under consideration.

arkleseizure, rajuabju, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently great minds think alike?

If a milepoint.com member wanted to attend a gathering of milepoint.com members but was not able to afford it at the time, a source of income — even if only on a one-time basis — could be the difference between attending versus not attending.

Also, the proposed forum would be far more than jobs and business. It would be a defined area where milepoint.com members can assist and support each other outside of advice pertaining to miles and points.

4. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I could really use this forum idea for my Singapore trip in two weeks... after applying for 20 jobs a day on various SGjobsDB sites over the past two weeks, firing off over 100 direct resumes to people/firms in one industry I have experience in and 50 in another, not even one positive response. Everyone I asked for suggestions, including comments from people in SIN on FT, said "why would the local companies hire you?" and as much as I wanted to respond "why wouldn't they hire me? I have experience, education and the will to work for cheap just to get some experience" looks like all of them were right and this will turn into another expensive tourist visit. Touche!

5. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why this idea was introduced — to help add another aspect of having milepoint.com become a true community where its members actively support each other.

I would assist you if I could, but perhaps a milepoint.com member with contacts or connections in Singapore would be able to help you out.

I wish you the best of luck in securing that job in Singapore to help you pay for your trip.

6. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for this idea. Maybe a bit too early right now since the community is so new, but I hope this is planned for the not too distant future.

7. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the job fair idea but a commercial marketplace is a slippery slope. I hope that we proceed very deliberately.

gemac likes this.
  8. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    well, without dragging milepoint into a slippery slope, adding some sort of a LinkedIn profile exchange may be a solution.

perhaps someone affiliated with MP can create a Group on LinkedIn? I thought of doing it but don't want to get in trouble using logos/info without permission