Proof positive that the demand for compensations has gone waay too far.

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by newbluesea, Oct 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I expect some you might have seen these two (stomach churning) ridiculous threads on FT one started by one of their senior moderators to boot.:rolleyes:

Two free nights or the equivalent for slow internet (despite fact that he had and used his own wireless router) and then he appears pissed when some other guy one ups him in compensation at the Barcelona property.:mad:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1398067-whats-good-compensation-bad-stay.html
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1398467-worst-stay-ever-hilton-barcelona.html

I expect the lesson above will be quickly put in place by the bottom feeders ( of which there are not an insignificant number around) and people will start demanding more and more ridiculous compensation for insignificant items at properties.

Pretty sad because all this makes life more difficult for people with legitimate complaints.

TRAVELSIG, Kalboz, NYCUA1K and 4 others like this.
  2. rosscoe68

rosscoe68 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It takes a lot for me to complain about something, both of those complaints where beyond stupid. People are human, mistakes are made, enjoy the journey it might be the only one you have.

TRAVELSIG, Kalboz, wrxmom and 7 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not limited to FT. People here have have argued they are due compensation for the inconvenience of not having the 4 mile mistake to HKG honored by United.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In the case quoted on FT, I think if I were the manager I'd make a business decision that they didn't need entitled dykwia customers, and I'd have offered 20 points instead of 20k points. (it's like how, if service in a restaurant is exceptionally bad, which I only encounter maybe once every 5 or 10 years, instead of leaving no tip I leave 10 pennies- it makes the point better).

Tenmoc, servo46250, Wageslave and 7 others like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were to get free nights for bad internet consistently then you would never pay for a room again...

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a reflection on our entitled society as a whole. You're exactly right. Thankfully, I believe these people are more the exception than the rule, but we're experiencing more and more of this as the entitlement generation ages.

TRAVELSIG, Kalboz, LETTERBOY and 4 others like this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I marvel at the people who have stacks of compensation vouchers. They must be REALLY unlucky, because I've gotten about $175 and 10,000 miles in total compensation from United in my life, and nothing from a hotel. Is it a badge of honor or shame that I don't know how to complain properly? :rolleyes:

PDX1KWanabe, 8MiHi, TRAVELSIG and 4 others like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more than that though... I think the more shockingly outrageous complaints will always come from the "DYKWIA" crowd. I can understand that some people might want preferential treatment -- hell, some might even have earned it -- by way of their loyalty to a program, but there are people within that crowd that take things to the extreme.

Maybe I'm too complacent about some things, but I know that personally I don't consider slow internet (or a slow elevator or a noisy ice machine or slow room service) to be worthy of compensation. With that said, I've clearly related my general dissatisfaction about something like that to the front desk, or to the hotel manager when a survey shows up, but I don't throw a fit when they don't offer me a million points.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur. Heck, who wouldn't want preferential treatment? Part of the reason many of us come to MP is so that we can learn the tricks to help us get the most out of our travel and travel budgets. This also includes ways to get preferential treatment; I requalify for 1K or HH Diamond every year because I like the preferential treatment that comes with it...but by the book. Where this perfectly harmless pursuit gets off track is when a DYKWIA-type feels entitled and "takes things to the extreme", as you said. If we drop the sense of entitlement and just focus on the purpose of our travels, most of the complaints would seem trivial and laughable, and no one will feel compelled to start a thread because they stayed at a property where freely provided internet connection was "too slow"...:rolleyes:

10. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all comes down to expectations. I'm more of a blue-blooded type of person...growing up in KY will do that. I like some of the finer things in life, but I don't really have such a high sense of self-worth that I could consider some housekeeper to be so far below me that I can't possibly strike up a friendly conversation en español, if the occasion presented itself. There are people, even outside of the DYKWIA crowd that just think their stuff doesn't stink, who feel entitled to whatever they want even though they've never really done anything to earn the respect of others.

11. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    My ex-wife eventually made a habit out of complaining for compensation. Note, EX-wife.

Perhaps we're too nice. The squeaky wheel often gets the grease, but I only think it's fair to be squeaky if I was truly inconvenienced to the point of frustration. I don't get frustrated easily, so I guess my warm, glowing personality :cool: is to blame for my lack of compensation too.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Whenever I return to a property where I'd previously stayed, I can truly feel the warmth in the way I am treated because I usually try to go out of my way to be friendly with everyone I come across at an establishment, from leaving a 'thank you' note on the desk for the housekeeper with some money in local currency that I would have no use for, to striking up a conversation with the concierge just to let them know that I appreciate what they do for guests, etc... But do you know what? Something that simple is, in fact, one way to ensure preferential treatment in the future! To act all self-important and then to expect preferential treatment seem to me like mutually exclusive goals...

But you do get compensated for having a warm and glowing personality! I'd reported last year that I went back to Hilton Singapore and found a note welcoming me back in one of the premiums with a balcony (suites where not yet available as a perk for Diamonds). I am going back there later this year and I bet you that I will be upgraded to a suite without asking thanks to the cordial relationship that I had developed with almost everyone at this property. So, you do get compensated in different ways...

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Look in the 24 years as a HH member I have never once asked for compensation perhaps I have been lucky or I just dont sweat the trivial things.
    Have there been things that I complain about at the front desk or in a survey??.... sure .. I will and I have let the property know that I am unhappy about some aspect of my stay on multiple ocasions
    I have had two false fire alarms one particular irritating one was at the Hilton Luxemburg where we had to trek down some 20 flights of stairs without so much as an apology from the hotel staff.
    Wrote a letter and got a somewhat decent response (no compensation offered) from the head of HH Europe Operations.

What amazes me about those two FT occurrances is:
    a) Is that in the case of Guy Betsy he didnt even need the damn internet since he had his own wifi
    and even when confronted by other members about his unreasonableness he got pretty defensive and gave some ridiculous example of how some HK chef who got $5000 and upgraded on his new flight from CX for a 9 hours flight delay.
    Perhaps that was his original objective here???:rolleyes:
    b) As far as the Barcelona incident its quite obvious that poster there was annoyed because he was denied lounge access on a Priceline stay ( he appeared to have snuck in there anyway) so he decided his new objective was to do his best to screw the hotel out of some compensation hence the list of trivial things ( personally I dont even buy the picture falling on him thngy..)
    So when he saw the Betsy had gotten the equivalent of two nights then he got really pissed how dare them give him so little:rolleyes:
    Perhaps he wanted two free weeks.

Kalboz and Gargoyle like this.
  14. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old UA you didn't even need to complain for free money! I got a cert for moving back of a cr2 for weight balance lol

Kalboz, hulagrrl210, viguera and 2 others like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. That is how I got most of my eCERTs in the pre-merger days: reading light not working, blown fuse for power outlet that they could not fix, delayed luggage...that sort of thing. No temper tantrum necessary...

Kalboz, Gargoyle and viguera like this.
  16. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you don't like to get compensation or ask for it thats great. GuyBetsy is a very savvy traveler and knows what to ask for.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whats wrong with that,

flagstaff and Kalboz like this.
  18. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everyone that the sense of entitlement can get a bit ridiculous. I will, however, say as a frequent business traveler, the trivial things do tend to add up: if it's been a long day and I've been up since 3am, sat through a 2 hour flight, conducted a 3 hour presentation and then completed a 2 hour drive, it's doesn't really feel great to meet a rude front desk agent, walk into a room you didn't expect, and have your work slowed by technical problems.

So I can conceivably understand why someone might be frustrated, maybe even angered, by a bunch of trivial things. With that said, treating people with disrespect, especially over trivial matters, doesn't solve anything. Last summer at the dallas Hilton Anatole, I was assigned a room with no a/c, wet paint on the wall, and a fairly strong pungent odor. I called the front desk and politely asked if there was another room available. I was upgraded to the "Mary Kay" suite. No complaints needed, and although the suite wasn't my style, I appreciated the gesture.

If the domestic Hilton staff would just be more generous with the upgrades when I don't encounter problems, we could be friends forever. :)

anabolism and Kalboz like this.
  19. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those outliers are best excused or ignored.

20. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If these actions are representative, you and I define "savvy traveler" differently.

newbluesea, Kalboz, desamo and 3 others like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure. If you look at the first FT thread, the first seven or eight comments were all disagreeing with the compensation expected/received. So it's not like everyone on FT is demanding compensation for minor issues while this site is seeing no such behavior.

22. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at a comment that said that if the hotel's internet was insufficient, then it would make a bad stay because he expected to be able to do work.

Well, I think that often falls back on the traveler. If it is absolutely important imperative that you have a really good internet connection to work while traveling, then you need to make sure that the good internet is most important at where you stay. This, to me, would mean bringing a portable Wi-Fi Hot spot, THAT I control. Or making the reservation at a place with true High Speed Internet, such as a company condo.

Do not rely on major hotels to have the necessary high speed for your company's VPN. For speed like that, I would search out an internet cafe or even a temporary office.

brfong and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  23. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the internet doesn't work, you should be refunded the cost of the internet (even if you get it free as elite -- you've paid for it with loyalty).

Kalboz likes this.
  24. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too much entitlement; you just would like to tell them to grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you OR your elite status. Oh well.

TRAVELSIG, brfong and LETTERBOY like this.
  25. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I leave a thank-you note with a tip in local currency every day, even though of course I'd have use of the currency. Even on my last day, I keep extra currency for when I return to the country. I try to be friendly and nice to everyone, including leaving thank-you notes and tips, with no expectation that anyone will remember me because of it. I assume that on my next visit much of the staff will be different, but the computer will let the front office know I'm returning. (I also have a problem recognizing faces, so even if the staff were the same, I wouldn't know.)

I will say that leaving tips for the housekeepers can help if you leave something behind. Housekeepers that like you are more likely to put in extra effort to help :)