Promote your travel blog or favorite travel-related site!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wanderwoman, Jun 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you write or blog for a travel-related site? What is your favorite site for hacking information?
    Share your favorites (or your own site/blog) this weekend at www.travelforboomers.com
    during "promote your site/blog" weekend.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Yavamos

Yavamos Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, wanderwoman, for letting us know about this opportunity!

wanderwoman likes this.
  3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder about the use of the word "hacking" or "travel hacking" It seems to me like it implies breaking in or stealing. Am I wrong in thinking this? I enjoy reading the blogs and learning the ins and outs of travel and booking travel. And I may take advantage of a mistake fare once in a while. But, hacking???

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're using an overly critical definition of hacking. That's but one of many. Just as people in the UK don't think too much of calling something a "scheme" but in the US that's considered much more negatively than the generic "plan."

One definition of hacking from Wikipedia for computer science is "an inelegant but effective solution to a computing problem." A lot of what people discuss here are complicated solutions that most of the flying public would consider a waste of time or too complicated. But they help us travel better and more cheaply.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, you're completely unbiased on this, right, Mr. Hack My Trip? :D

aptraveler likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the definition I had in mind when I picked the title. I had other names that were less provocative, but the Internet being what it is, it can be hard to find a domain that isn't taken.

aptraveler likes this.
  7. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, this got me thinking a bit. I was using the word "hacking" to imply shortcuts, tricks, etc. However, you make a good point that "hacking" can be thought of as a negative term. So.....would taking advantage of a mistake fare be termed as "hacking"? Probably not. Maybe it's only hacking if we can't share it with the public.