Promo: Choose between 15% off or 25% more miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Pizzaman, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This would seem to be a different offer than the Citi card offer currently being circulated.

This e-mail came from AA directly and has no reference to Citi cards, even though I am a card holder. The offer is for 15% off your next ticket or 25% more miles, and there are some embargo dates, which seems a bit odd for bonus miles.

The offer does seem to be targeted, but as always, YMMV.

Link.

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Attempted at registering my wife and I, didn't work for either. Will just have to stick to the 10% coupons floating around.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  3. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not hold any of the Citi AAdvantage CCs but I too received this offer. Chose the 15% coupon since 25% more miles on a domestic r/t didn't seem like as good a deal.

Good stuff, AA. :cool: I travel exclusively for leisure on my own dime and if these offers keep coming, requalifying for PLT for next year is going to be a cinch!

4. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And, subsequently, I got:

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just got one for my daughter a short while ago who has no status.

6. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got my offer in my email today. Good timming in just making Gold before the weekend.

7. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the heck!! no offer in my inbox.. maybe I'm not subscribed or somthing..

tondoleo likes this.
  8. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took the 15% off deal.

tondoleo likes this.
  9. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried myself, Mr U&A, and our 2 kiddos...no luck for any of us.

tondoleo likes this.
  10. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like there is no rhyme or reason on who get selected for these promos and who does not.

tondoleo likes this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, you are not eligible for this offer.

Oh well.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No offer for me, and no offer from my Citibank card either. To be honest, I think I've only ever been targeted once for an AA offer similar to these (promos that aren't open to everyone).

schnitzel likes this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, sure, they know they'll get your business anyway. Why give you a discount on something you'd purchase anyway at full price?

I'm sure they've seen your avatar . . .

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure AA can really tie my MP/FT name to my AAdvantage account and credit cards. ;) If they can, this game just got a little too creepy for me!

That being said, I'm a fan of AA but I'm not without common sense. I don't buy outrageously priced tickets, and I would consider switching carriers/alliances if it suited my travel patterns. I think AAdvantage is the most lucrative mileage scheme for my needs currently, but if OW's members keep falling apart, if AA isn't able to rebound and add AA metal flights into Asia in the next few years (Europe/SouthAmerica is nice but Asia is where I travel most), or if they make major changes to elite benefits, you'll find me at T1 in ORD instead of T3. ;)

schnitzel likes this.
  15. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didnt even get the email. That"s sad, I am not in the "in" with AA

16. Whendoublewidesfly

Whendoublewidesfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    (Make sure you read all the fine print.....wrote about it on my blog. Good offer, but lots of red tape, but the 15% off works on international flights too! Blog post below)

I got an email this morning from American Airlines telling me if I booked between now and April 15, 2012 I could take 15% off my next flight or receive 25% bonus miles on any flight before June 28, 2012! Although this initially sounds awesome, there’s a lot of RED tape around this deal. However, if you have an AA flight coming up, this could be a good way to save 15% or gain a few extra miles.

[​IMG]
    Per the rules and regulations: Flights departing 3/9/2012‑3/12/2012, 3/16/2012‑3/18/2012, 3/23/2012‑3/25/2012, 4/6/2012‑4/9/2012, 5/25/2012‑5/28/2012 do not qualify for this promotion, so if you were planning on using this on a weekend this promotion won’t work for you. Furthermore, the promotional discount ONLY works on flights departing from the US/Canada/Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands and if the flight is a domestic flight cost be greater than $250.

[​IMG]

I tested the offer on an International flight, and sure enough when selecting the return fare, the price of the ticket was crossed out with a new lower price inserted below. Overall on my flight to China (that I didn’t buy) I would have saved over $150!

Also note, this offer is good for up to FOUR people! “The 25% bonus will only apply to the traveling member targeted to receive this promotion whereas the 15% discount can be applied to up to four people traveling in the same reservation as the targeted customer.” BUT travel must be 100% on AA and cannot include a codeshare partner’s flight. I tried to buy LAX to SEA on Alaska and no discount was available. I then even tried LAX to LHR with a stop in DC and continuing on to LHR on BA. However, this failed as well and no discount was applied, despite the second page saying it would.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Price w/o discount trying to buy
    with BA segment
    If you decide to take the bonus miles, be aware that these miles DO NOT count towards lifetime elite miles NOR do they could towards elite status. Therefore the miles aren’t worth much if you’re trying to gain status with AA.

Even though it's targeted, I would say try to see if you're eligible. From my best guess this offer was sent to non-elite frequent fliers. To see if you’re eligble for the deal, click here

17. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    Looks like this offer is only good for those we are NOT elite with AA

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not true. I received it as an EXP.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was gonna say, I've seen a few folks I know have status post that they received it.... lol

20. Whendoublewidesfly

Status Points:
    wow interesting....don't know how they chose this one then!

21. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm EXP and I received the offer.