Programs win awards, then they tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canadi>n, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any correlation behind the fact that when Frequent Flyer/Stay programs win awards like the Frequent Traveler Awards or the old Freddies, they unravel and go from First to Worst. Cases in point, Hyatt swept the FTAs in their first year and immediately after that Gold Passport ended the best part of its program: Frequent Free Nights. No promotions since then have been worth a hill of beans by comparison. At the same awards, Aeroplan was selected the best FF program in NAmerica. Immediately after that, AE/AC decimated their mid-tier Elite benefits. Now AE has introduced some of the highest fuel surcharges to its award tickets, introduced in a stealth fashion a few months after boosting the cost of premium awards by as much as 40% (before the dollar hit). Just two examples of how not to encourage loyalty and encourage migration to competitors...which is the case in my situation with both programs!

Toula and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of it could be programs assessing that they've made themselves too lucrative to sustain. Part of it could be a calculated desire to make a positive splash, and then try to coast and profit off of that.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. They can probably continue to use the award in advertisement even if the reason for the award is no longer valid. After a few years it will require a refresh, of course. Personally, I pay very little attention to those awards.

violist, Toula and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here - as I also ignore whether critics like/dislike a movie, who wins a Grammy, Emmy, etc. I'm not sure who really does pick a loyalty program or patronize a hotel/airline based on it winning an award. I think all of those award programs are just make-work for marketing types and a pat-yourself-on-the-back opportunity for the nominees.

But the OP may have a point - it's a bit in our human nature to tend to rest on our laurels it seems.

Toula and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.