Programs that allow free household transfers

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by vickers, Jul 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone,

I travel quite a bit for business, but my wife does not. I was looking to put together a list of reward programs that allow the transfer of points to household members, without penalty. I am primarily looking for credit cards we can sign her up for, transfer the points to me, then close. This way, we can use those points for family vacations and we get the elite perks of booking under my name.

Here is what we have so far. If you know of additional programs, please share below and provide the link and I will update the master. Thanks.

Hotel Programs:

SPG: If you share an address with another SPG member, you can transfer Starpoints between accounts as you please.

Marriott: You can transfer your points to your legal spouse or domestic partner at time of reward redemption provided he or she is also a Marriott Rewards member.

Club Carlson: Elite members may transfer Points from their account to another Program member account upon request. All other members (non-Elite) may transfer Points to another Program member residing in the same household provided that both individuals have been a Program member for at least one year and the addresses for either account involved in the transfer have not been up updated within thirty (30) days prior to the transfer request.

Airline Programs:

British Airways: Allows transfers for household members

Hawaiian Airlines: Allows free transfers to anyone if 2 conditions are met:
    -the recipient of the miles must have an active Hawaiian Airlines WorldElite MasterCard or Hawaiian Airlines Business MasterCard (primary cardholder only)
    -both the donor and recipient accounts must have valid email addresses listed

Asiana Airlines: Allows transfer for household members

JetBlue: You'll be able to contribute points to the family account upon joining Family Pooling initially and with each future transaction for zero transfer fees. Families can consist of up to 2 adults and 5 children. At a minimum, there must be 2 individuals in a Family Pooling account.

Car Rental Programs:

Hertz Gold Plus: Points can be transferred to a spouse or domestic partner, as long as he/she is a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member who permanently resides at the same address as the primary renter.

Credit Card Programs:

Chase Ultimate Rewards: Points may be moved to a spouse or domestic partner, provided one of you has a "premium card". ( @mommypoints hope you don't mind the link. I couldn't find an official chase page on the subject and yours is pretty recent.)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    uggboy likes this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought Marriott only allowed transfer to a spouse.... I'd be thrilled to know my understanding is incorrect.

BA (OZ?) allows a household (family) account IIRC

vickers likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA (if you have the CC)
    BA
    OZ
    B6 (pooling + 1x free xfer opportunity when creating a family plan)

satman40 and vickers like this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks kwai

5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Club Carlson as well

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks edekba. They have some pretty strict requirements for non-elite. Appreciate the note!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    edekba likes this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were right kwai:

Spouse or Domestic Partner

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they? I wasn't sure as both my wife & I got the CC Card and did those promotions a few years ago. I transfered over my points to her & closed my account a few months later w/o any problems.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there are additional requirements for non-elites, but the credit card gives you elite status. So no problems there. :)

edekba likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA permits anyone (not just "household members") to transfer miles provided the recipient has a HA CC.
    Also unique among FF programs the transfer can be any number of miles (even 1) as opposed to round numbers.
    Great way to get the orphan miles into your account which would otherwise be lost by others with small amounts..

14. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Updated

satman40 likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mile are given away to my wife's sister, and brothers, and their children, as they attend college

We have never had a problem booking their trips from China, or travel in other countries.

My suggestion is just buy them the Award travel, and keep control of the miles..

Much easier in one account...

Chase lets you move miles,

vickers likes this.
  16. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks satman. Thats a great way to do it. I was just looking for a way to boost the "Family" miles by having my wife sign up for programs and their associated credit card bonuses and transfer those into my account.

Im not that familiar with Chase. So the Ultimate Rewards can be freely shared with household members?

satman40 likes this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I move my Ink and Sapphire rewards into my wife's United account,

She has status with UA and mine is with AA, it helps if you need to use the phone lines or just asking for a favor from an Agent.

vickers likes this.
  18. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ultimate Rewards can only be transferred between spouses/domestic. There have been reports of people's accounts being shut down for transferring points between non-married/domestic partner accounts, including engaged couples in the case of Scott from TravelCodex.

19. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan Arlines has a Family Plan. I can transfer miles between myself, wife and kids without any fee. I'm pretty sure it's available in the the USA, but not sure how it works in the states. Wifey and I both use the JAL credit card and can move the miles however we like to get awards.

20. ice_nyne

ice_nyne New Member

Status Points:
    Amex Gold Premier Rewards can be shared between spouses if one is the authorized user on another's account.

21. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Korean Air has family pooling if used on Korean flights. Some documentation hoops to jump through, though.

22. tikdem

tikdem Active Member

Status Points:
    Jet airways (india) 9W -- offers a nice family sharing option
    all family members need to be jet privelege members to share miles
    redemption is easy and quite good
    especially for business travellers --- if flying into india domestic flights cost very less miles
    also their tie up with most leading airlines including etihad ensure miles can be used on international sectors as well