Prognostications anent the Aeroplan reward matrix

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mevlannen, Jul 17, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having been bombarded with CBC radio news stories about the impending expiry of Air Miles, and the utter dismay of certain of their 'collectors,' when faced with multi-hour wait times for telephone redemptions, I am now reaching for my crystal ball, as concerns Aeroplan.

Cloudy said crystal ball may be, but I offer one prediction: that the next time Aeroplan issues a press release about their reward chart, it'll say...

1) "To better align with the expectations of our valued customers, and to remain competitive within industry, we're increasing the number of Aeroplan miles required for redemptions."

Anyone else care to offer a guess as to what will be in that press release? The pithier, and more laden with business-school buzzwords, the better. Bonus points to anyone who can best predict the date of the chart's being re-scrambled.

tongue firmly in cheek,

/Elane
    who's sitting on 235,000 points at the moment, and idly wondering whether it's time for another grand tour of research libraries

YULtide and milchap like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am sitting on 250K miles. I was concerned about their value.....and last week booked flights to bring my family here for a gathering of the clan.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good move, managing to burn the points off and make a gift of their use at the same time!

For my research-library holiday, I am looking for a few days in Vancouver, Palo Alto, Boston (well, Cambridge), London, and Cardiff. How I can best manage that with J-class rewards is where the head-scratching part comes in. London>Cardiff>London might be a rail journey, of course.

And, to the proposed theme of the discussion, I predict:

2) General devaluation shall be announced late on the last Friday afternoon of July, this summer, thus neatly missing the news cycle.

YULtide likes this.
  4. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crystal ball is throbbing, so it must be time for Guess No.3:

3) All point redemption levels shall end in '9999', to more comfortably align with what consumers are accustomed to. Rounded up to the nearest '9999' of course.

YULtide likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    No longer worries. Nor care. AE balance down to zero by eoy. 2016 will be revenue on which we airline I choose. SE. MEH. no longer important.

mevlannen likes this.
  6. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rather in the same boat, here, minus the 'meh'. With retirement comes a remarkable fall-off of business travel. Not to zero, but close enough that it will not even put me in 25K group next year.

Burning the points is entertaining, though. Am working at making sure that there is good value for redemption, since nobody in our house wants another toaster.

milchap and YULtide like this.