Procrastinators will pay the price for holiday travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    LINK

If you're planning to fly for the holidays, don't wait to buy your ticket. Procrastinators are going to pay an even higher penalty this year if they wait, CBS News travel editor Peter Greenberg explained on "CBS This Morning."

The Wall Street Journal reports Thanksgiving week flights in the U.S. and the Caribbean cost 9.4 percent more than last year, and Christmas week fares are up 7.3 percent.

Greenberg explained price for holiday air travel also depends on when you want to fly. He said, "If you want to fly the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, remember, they made a movie about that. It was called 'Planes, Trains, and Automobiles' with John Candy and Steve Martin. If you can, try to fly out on the morning of Thanksgiving, and don't fly back on Sunday. You'll pay higher rates again. Try to come back on Friday or Saturday when everybody else is at the mall -- and you'll get a 10 percent reduction in fares."

Counsellor, sobore and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great post! Thanksgiving is the busiest travel holiday of the year. It's always been this way. If you plan to travel by air for Thanksgiving, why would you wait until the last minute to attempt to make your reservations?

BTW, Peter Greenberg's website is: http://petergreenberg.com/ I've been subscribed to his free weekly emails for some time. Interestingly, his weekly newscast is held in a different location around the world every week! ;)

Counsellor likes this.
  3. The same is true for flights leaving Canada and border Cities like Buffalo,
    Detroit and Seattle at that time as there are several hundred Thousands of US expats living in Canada

4. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    *raises hand* I got burned for procrastinating :(

Needed to fly SFO-YYZ during US Thanksgiving this year. I know that the whole week will be a pain to find good tix, so I tried looking for flights the week before.

Noticed the AC fares were a bit higher than usual. Doublechecked with EF and sure enough, the W fares have a 30 day advance purchase requirement. Now I'm stuck with Q and V fares :(

Considering I typically fly transcon at < $300 r/t, imagine my shock when the total came out to $1k :eek::eek::eek:. Oh my gawd, paying for a round trip economy fare SFO-YYZ with a comma in the price! *faint*

Counsellor and MSYgirl like this.
  5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! :eek:

I'm booked to LHR just before Thanksgiving and returning between Christmas and New Year. Although the flights have been running 500 pounds ($796) in the past, the past six months have seen the 600-pound ($955) range. Getting a holiday fare on my dates for 656 pounds ($1,044) wasn't so bad, so I'll consider myself lucky.

maradori likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the sort of thing award redemption was designed to prevent happening. Well worth spending the miles even if you have to pay "standard" miles rates instead of "saver". (Same can be true for sudden last-minute trips.)

One other tip, if you can't find award seats in economy, don't forget to try premium to see if there are any "saver" rate seats available. Often there are, and sometimes cheaper in miles than "standard" economy redemption.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    maradori likes this.
  7. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, I know what you mean. I had to do SFO-YYZ last minute earlier this year and yup ... last minute fares ... $1k each way :eek:

Ended up using points for it. And to the second point, AC allows certain Y rewards to be offered at double points, which just so happen to cost the same as J. Hmm,