Process for Opting in to this ridiculous Pre-Check pilot

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by PhlyingRPh, Oct 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently, if one is already a participant in one of the other existing ridiculous u.s. Government programmes such as Global Entry, Nexus or Sentri, one is eligible to join the pre-check circle of trust, according to this:

Current members of CBP’s Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS programs are already eligible to participate in the (pre-check logo) concept if they are flying on a participating airline at a participating airport. Those passengers just need to place their PASS ID in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field while booking their reservation.

That's all very nice, but what is this PASS ID of which they speak. Is it one's Trusted Traveler membership number, as found in ones GOES profile, or is it some other entity that is bestowed only upon the blue eyed boys?

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite sure why you think Global entry is ridiculous. I love the fact that I can land from a TATL, deplane and be curbside inside of 10 minutes. Seems to work just fine for most people.

One Version of the pass ID is a number assigned to a GE participant and is clearly printed on the GE card. And it wouldnt suck for us blue eyed boys to catch a break once in a while. ;) Seems like everyone else around us is getting them.

rwoman, PhlyingRPh, catgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a GE and NEXUS member. I do not have a GE card, but I do have my NEXUS card.

If anyone else needs help finding the PASS ID on the NEXUS card, it's on the back of the card, on the upper left.

rwoman, PhlyingRPh and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see. I am GE only - have no card - have no explicitly identified PASS ID.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    did you look thoroughly on your GOES acct data to see if there isn't one there? Id check myself, but don't have any of my log in info with me at the moment.

rwoman likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I look at my DL reservations, it appears that I must add my Global Entry number to each one individually. However, these might all have been ticketed before I added the Global Entry number to my profile. Be sure to check more than 72 hours before the flight. At this time, delta.dumb locks you out and you cannot even see whether your Global Entry number is properly attached to the reservation or not.

rwoman likes this.
  7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the number is also on your approval letter if you still have it. I'm traveling and don't have immediate access to mine, but I seem to recall that was where I found it...

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  8. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I missed this earlier... I too like the fact that one can speed through the entry process with GE. However, I think the programme is ridiculous since I happen to believe that every US citizen and Perm Res should be able to enter their country of residence and be curbside in ten minutes flat without having to provide information the government already has, pay a fee and then wait two months to take time out of one's day to be photographed, finger printed and given eroneous programme rules by a CBP clown. In other words the GE experience needs to be the standard international arrival experience for all. There are other countries where the GE experience you currently experience in the US has been the standard for decades (without the computers and finger print readers of course).

I see the problem is that I do not have a GE card - just a CBP sticker placed in my US passport. I did not realize one needs to apply for a card - which takes me back to my earlier remark about interviewing with said CBP clowns.

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you can order the ge caard with out an interview. just $15.00 online and you get it in a couple of weeks.

rwoman likes this.
  10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at my GOES account right now - my Trusted Traveler # is easy to find...right there on the front page. :)

11. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this show up on our boarding cards? I just realized I had mistyped the address in my account for my card and just fixed it...then contacted CBP about getting a card since I never received one and it's a $25 replacement cost. It is my understanding I'll still need the card...but curious as to how this works!

Thanks!
    :)

12. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, I confirmed that the number is on the approval letter and that it matches the number online in the GOES system.

BTW, applying for the Global Entry card is a real pain in the rear. More stuff than I expected to just get the card.

13. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Its a minor pain, but if they are actually following through on their background checks, and insure that only legitimate applicants are approved, it winds up being a small inconvenience for the 5 years of benefits that you get. I've used GE 5 or 6 times this year, and walk away from the kiosk each time thinking how it was soooooooooo worth the $100 and the interview process.

14. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I wasn't clear. I already have (and have had for some time) GlobalEntry itself. Yes, it is a huge timesaver and highly recommended.

I was speaking of the process by which those of us who already have Global Entry have to go through to request and get the GE card. One must fill out a number of the fields that we already had to fill out on the application form, including our travel history. An example is that the system didn't retain the phone numbers of my previous employers.... Stuff like that shouldn't have to be necessary.....

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    absolutely argree. Felt like I was re signing up for GE. My wife recently did her GE, and now the card is included.

16. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that the TSA documentation requires something called a PASS ID. My enrollment letter provides a GE Program membership number that is nine digits long. In all likelyhood, this is the number that needs to be entered in the "known traveler number" field, but it doesn't explicitly state this in the TSA documentation.