Problems with United.com for over 24 hours?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jun 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been doing some planning, and I can't get my return flights to show up. I am logged into my account. I select my outbound flight, then it takes me to the return page, but it is jibberish. No record of the outbound I selected. No flights from which to choose.

I have tried it for several city pairs and on two browsers. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It started last night after I had purchased two round trips. The third failed.

Answers to obvious questions: Yes, I have cleared my cache and cookies. Yes I have quit and restarted the applications and computer. Yes I have tried it without logging in. Thought I would check with my fellow MPers before calling UA Elite Desk.

Max M likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It worked earlier today for me.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Working fine for me this morning.

4. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a flight yesterday afternoon just fine, and again this morning.

5. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    It worked for me late last night, and I was there again early this morning with no problems.

6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also having problems with "the new .bomb" as well.

Just tried submitting a request for a mileage redeposit THREE different times and received the error message:

[​IMG]
    We're sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request due to a technical problem.
    Please try later or call 1-800-396-1751 for assistance.
    So yes, KenEscazu, "the new .bomb" is giving others issues as well.​
    As a GM, I don't want to mess around waiting a hour to talk with a "customer service" agent. Average hold times for me as a GM have been 1 hour, and when I changed my last award, which was booked using UACO miles on Virgin Atlantic in UpperClass, the UA India Call Center employee rebooked me in coach on Virgin. I had to wait an 1 hour to talk to the ICC employee to then find out after his tinkering, that United.com was showing that the ICC employee booked me in coach.​
    It took another hour to finally reach another customer service agent. The prior India Call Center employee messed things up so bad, that the next agent I spoke to [SLC-based, thank God] had United take care of the problem by creating and release special inventory on United in Business .​
    [it was originally ticked in September 2011, and the snafu happened in early March right after the merger was done, and the SLC-agent told me that UA no longer had access to VS UpperClass inventory after the VS awards using MP miles were discontinued in February]​
    So based on my last ordeal and awful GM call center wait times, I'm going to wait for United.bomb to heal itself to take care of this different and separate mileage redeposit issue.​
    P.S. Tried again 2 more times each using Firefox and Internet Explorer, and the same error message continues to display.​

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just booked a couple tickets with no problems (and requested 1 refund).

carsonheim likes this.
  8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about trying a different computer?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suspect if the OP rebooted, cleared cookies and tried different browsers, it's quite unlikely that the computer is at fault. How about the actual route -- maybe there's just a route specific issue? As they say, where's the easily reproducible test case?

cvsara likes this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beauty of two or three computers running at the same location, makes it easy to try different things. Or breaking out that old lap top that just sits most of the time. We all have them. (Don't we?):eek:

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have plenty of computers, but I don't see a reason why it would help here. What would be different about that computer? I guess I don't generally believe in magic and given all the things the OP said he cleared/restarted I don't see what could suddenly be wrong with his machine. Some weird virus spread by aanother aairline to disable UA bookings? :D

12. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, we know better than that. Everybody else says all is ok. All I see wrong with the UA site, besides everything is to expensive, is, is, well it just S_ _ Ks, But I do like to change computers when things seem to just go wrong on my main one.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, right, I can reproduce that "expensive" problem... Sadly switching computers hasn't helped much. I even tried switching airlines ;)

14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So this brings back memories of how the old United site used to work until the new United adopted the website used by CO.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Proof that they kept the best of both airlines? ;)

16. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    More changes we will like.:D

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have plenty of computers around here (All Mac office), but having just purchased two RT tickets before having this error seemed to rule out a problem with the computer. When nobody else reported anything similar, and then the suggestion to use another machine came along, I decided to try it.

I have this 5 year old MacBook Pro that had been broken for two years. I just got it repaired, so it is sitting on my desk while I test it before assigning it to someone. I tried logging in, but first had to upgrade from Firefox 5 to Firefox 13... LOL!

So I log into united.com, pick the route and dates, and the whole thing was smooth as silk. Although I can't explain why it messed up after booking two trips back to back, there is one difference between my primary iMac and the old MBP. I just put some new anti-virus software on my iMac. Some other odd behavior is starting to make me think that the protection is worse than the threat.

At any rate, this particular problem is solved. Thanks to all who offered productive feedback here. As usual, I can count on you folks to get to the bottom of almost any issue that isn't opinion based. I really do appreciate the help!

Just one more trip left to book for the year (unless I decide to go "home" for Christmas) and I'll be set to hit 110,000 miles. Going to be 1K for the first time, and I'm not even looking forward to it. From what I'm reading here, my best bet is going to be to continue to buy front cabin seats when they are important to me. At least I'll have a few extra instruments in 2013 to make that decision more affordable.

cvsara and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.