Problems with mileage credit for Ethiopian Airlines flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SM105, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had some flights last month on Ethiopian Airlines where all but one segment have credited to my Mileage Plus account. The one segment that did not credit was from Blantyre, Malawi to Addis Ababa. This did not credit even though the onward connecting flight from Addis to Mumbai credited within 48 hours.

To be fair, I did not really expect the miles to auto-post as there were many irregularities with this sector.

a) The flight number was changed after initially booking (from ET 877 to ET 875) and the flight was routed via Lilongwe rather than non-stop.
    b) The ticket had to be re-issued due to a misconnection earlier in the itinerary, so the ticket numbers changed.
    c) There is no functional DCS at Blantyre airport and no boarding passes are issued - they just cross names off a list and you have to pick out your checked bags at the aircraft side so that they are loaded.

That said, my issue now lies with the Star Alliance retro-claim function on United.com. While trying to submit the request, I get the following response.

"Our records indicate that you may have submitted incorrect data. Please resubmit your request."

I've tried to resubmit multiple times, but the same error crops up. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be to get the miles credited?

PS. The fare class and everything else are eligible for mileage credit, so that is not the problem here.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call the MileagePlus Desk and ask them to submit a claim manually so you can get your miles on that sector.

It can take anywhere from instantly crediting to 96 hours or longer depending on the carrier.

SM105 likes this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had this on two long haul LX segments flown last month which didn't post (after the short haul segments before and after them did). Got the same message when I tried the online request form, so scanned the boarding passes (which clearly showed my UA*G indicator) and ticket receipt and emailed them to the MP Customer Service centre. That was almost two weeks ago and the miles just posted today.

However, it took me five months to get some similar SAA segments to post from January! This is one of the things I hate about STAR and UA/MP. It takes too long for partner flights to post and more often than not, the full itinerary doesn't post and must be requested. In the case of my SAA flights, SAA at first rejected my claim saying the miles were posted to another FF program. Only after I provided copies of my two other STAR accounts along with boarding passes clearly showing my UA/MP account indicator, did they finally relent.

4. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I spoke to MileagePlus and 2 days later, the miles for my outbound sectors (which had already posted to Turkish Airlines), posted again to my MileagePlus account. Still no sign of my Blantyre - Addis miles though! :D

5. SM105

SM105 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Blantyre to Addis flights have finally posted, just short of two months later. :)

desamo and snod08 like this.