Problems with holding reservations on AA.com?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dc_traveler, Jun 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least twice this week, I have held reservations on aa.com and then subsequently tried to purchase the tickets, only to find that the price displayed goes up on the purchase screen. (I've attached an example.) AA changing prices.jpg I have called AA platinum desk or web services and they have been able to process the tickets manually, although it takes a lot of time. Is anyone else having similar problems?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does your fare class sell out between the reservation and when you try to ticket it or is there a general fare increase? Most carriers and travel agents state that prices aren't guaranteed until ticketing has been completed.

dc_traveler likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many fares also include "must be purchased within XXX days of departure", so those put on hold that go past that date can see price increases. This typically effects tickets held relatively close to the intended departure date.

dc_traveler likes this.
  4. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reactions! I wonder if it's what DestinationDavid has said. According to AA, the fare is held/guaranteed for at least 24 hours, but I think it's very likely that the reservation on hold has gone past the date when the fare would expire in the absence of the hold. AA always honors the fare, which I appreciate, but it is usually a 10 to 15 minute process on the phone.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be grateful that it isn't UA - where they WON'T hold any ticket without paying a fee - even for 1k! (another change I (don't) like:mad:

dc_traveler likes this.
  6. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ticket on AA on nearly a weekly basis and almost always put it on a guaranteed
    24 hr hold. But it is NOT a hold for AT LEAST 24 hrs. It is one that will expire on the following day at midnight (I guess u can say in that case it is at least 24 hrs but it is really next day at midnight. ). Sometimes the fare goes down. But I never get a fare increase if I book before midnight the next day. I always double check the fare on the website before purchase too.