Problems with gift tickets purchased with miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LAM, Sep 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have offered to give my parents reward tickets with miles for their 50th Anniversary trip next summer. If there is a problem (ie missed connection, bad weather etc) will they have any additional problems getting issues resolved since they have reward tickets not from their frequent flyer accounts? They will be flying on Delta domestic. This is my dad's big concern. If they take the tickets it will save them approximately $1500.00. They are flying IAD to Alaska and back from Seattle so tickets are not cheap and Mom does not want to wait for a sale. She is a planner (I am a chip off the block) and wants to get things settled soon.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer any of the above questions but make sure that if you pay for the tickets with your cc, even if it's just the taxes, I would highly recommend after making the bookings to go to a DL desk to show them the cc so they can make a note that the cc used is okay. I have seen threads/blogs about people booking tix for friends and family and having issues at check in as they didn't have THE cc that was used to make any payment.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for that suggestion. I had read that before but forgot that suggestion,

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should not be any issues and my parents used to have the same concerns. (it took me years to talk them out of paper tickets:rolleyes::D)

To ease my parent's concern, I used to include a single page writeup of who I am, who my parents are & how these tickets were awards from my account, it was signed by me & had my contact info on it.

Being able to give awards to family via miles is a wonderful thing!

flyforawg, ella and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I have flown my kids on reward tickets many times and they have never had a problem. One time my daughter's flight was cancelled and the airline re-booked her for the next day and took care of her hotel and meals overnight.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have given reward tickets as wedding gifts. Mid-trip, nephew changed their return tickets with absolutely no problem.

It made me happy to be able to give a nice gift without breaking my bank, and there's not ever been an issue.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I just purchased their tickets tonight. I want them to have a great trip while celebrating such a milestone. Had to use up all of my Delta points two 40,000 miles tickets, no lower level flights. But the tickets are totally worth it.

marcwint55 and Sweet Willie like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I had the good fortune of being able to send my parents on several trips. I wish they were still around for me to send them on more trips. My mother was always telling her friends about the great times she had on her trips, and I'm sure your parents will be doing the same when they return. She was always so proud of the fact that her son could do that for her, as my parents unfortunately never had the means to do it on their own.