Problems with Citi AA $150 Statement Credit

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jbeutel23, Jan 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings,

I applied for the Citi AA Visa and AM EX back in December, shortly after receiving the cards I purchased one $50 AA eGift card per card in order to receive the $150 credit. Last statement nothing appeared, I called in and they insisted I wait until the following statement. Now that the next statement is out and I still no credit, I called again and referenced the fine print I had screen shot during the application that states to receive the credit the charge only needs to be an AA merchant of record and excludes the following products and services: cargo, miles purchases, hotel reservations, car rentals, and duty free purchases.

Even though I read this all the agent and mangaer would say is that "this is not a loophole," and they would be happy to mail me a letter with the terms and conditions that state it is for my first airline ticket purchase. After going back and forth with the slightly aggressive manager I said I would just send a letter in to customer service about the credit.
    Is there a better way to pursue this or should I call back and hope I talk to another manager? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

JohnDeere19 and tondoleo like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked the credit card bill to see if AA is the merchant of record for the gift cards? Paragraph 4 of the footnotes reference that merchant. Alternatively, you may want to call or write until you find a kinder, more understanding rep.

Welcome to Milepoint.:)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it posted as AA, and I asked the rep to verify it was and they said yes.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. msp2anywhere
    Original Member

msp2anywhere Active Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they've coded it internally to deny automatic reimbursement?

Any recent data points?

5. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to try buying a drink on my flight in June to see if that will work. I've seen several blogs saying to try it, but never saw anything concrete.

6. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may not work as it might be considered AA Cargo services. It didn't work for me, but I used the Plat Sig Visa to see if I would get the 2x miles for the AA purchase.

7. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was finally able to get my statement credit after multiple calls to Citi. The key is to have a screen shot of the terms of the $150 statement credit and read it to the rep. I talked to a few reps who would not give the credit, a few who said it would be on the next statement (never showed up), and finally a manager who gave me the courtesy credit.

8. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    You wouldn't happen to still have a copy of the screen shot would you?

9. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All you have to do is read the entire section 2 to the agent. I bought a $50 egift card for both my AMEX and my VISA, the VISA went through after the first statement closing and I didn't even have to call in, so I know it has more to do with their system just failing to pick up purchases coded as AA Misc on your statement than it being a loophole. I'm sure they wish that you would pay for a airline ticket, and many reps will tell you that's the only way to get the credit, but the small print indicates otherwise. Good luck.

brockb likes this.
  11. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much! :)

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm probably just being dense, but what is the benefit to buying a $50 GC instead of just buying a plane ticket on AA and getting the $150 back that way? Are there things you can use the gift card for *other* than plane tickets... especially things that don't involve you getting a ticket anyway? I don't understand why "a $50 credit towards an AA flight with $100 cash" is worth the extra step and potential hassle compared to $150 credit for the ticket purchase you'd make anyway with the gift card.

13. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point for some, but in my case I have enough miles on airlines that theres rarely comes a time I need to buy a full fare ticket. Why buy a ticket when you have miles and the redemption values are high?

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    So do you just sit on the $50 gift card, or sell it, or what?

15. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or give it to a friend or family member who books a flight.

16. CMHFlyerOH

CMHFlyerOH Active Member

Status Points:
    How many days/weeks after making an AA purchase has it typically taken for the $150 statement credit to appear?