Problems upgrading on AF w/ DL flight number. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by chaz4449, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm relatively new to trying to get upgrades. So, I need some input on whether or not what I describe below is a common occurrence.

My wife and I booked round trip flights (on separate reservations b/c of work) through DL from MSP-ORD in F and from ORD-CDG on AF in W (premium voyageur). I called DL and we were each told that we could pay 30K Skymiles and be moved to business. The agent told me that we were confirmed but we would have to wait for our tx to be re-issued. We would have to call back for seat assignments.

I checked the itinerary again today, and my wife was still business on both AF flights, but my AF flights had disappeared! I called DL twice today. The first agent was clueless. I called back and was transferred to someone who "reissues int'l tx" and was told that my wife was still upgraded, but I could only be upgraded on the CDG-ORD segment. Apparently, AF changed the flight's scheduled time by 5 minutes and also decided to change their upgrade availability. They also threatened the Delta agent with canceling my itinerary all together. Can they do that?

I stayed on the phone with this agent for almost an hour and refused to get off the phone until he had gotten us confirmed seats on the AF flights. He told us that he had, and our milage accounts were debited for 15 K each since we decided to rough it out in premium voyageur together and go affaires on the way back. My wife received a confirmation of her AF seats. I of course did not get one.

What can I do to handle this? (I've already e-mailed DL's customer service.)

Are they really the Sky Team? They sure can't seem to work together like one.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were both tickets written exactly the same way, same ticket stock, same fare classes, and same flight numbers, not just the same flights and schedule? There can be some technical rules about upgrades when codeshares are involved.

If your upgrade was ever confirmed, DL should have worked with AF to make it right. Did you ever see an itinerary that confirmed you into business class or was your upgrade perhaps just requested? Could it have been cancelled if DL failed to reissue the tickets sufficiently promptly for AF?

If you could not confirm your upgrade immediately, would you have purchased a cheaper fare, either deep discount PV or cheap coach, which would not upgrade into PV? If so, you might be able to argue with DL for a refund.

3. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both tickets were identical. They were W class (full fare premium economy). We were told that they were confirmed AND it was changed on my itinerary on Delta.com (but then disappeared once AF changed the schedule on one of the flights). DL may have drug their feet too long on reissuing the tickets.

4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who wrote the ticket? If the ticket starts 006 it is DL ticket stock. In that case, call the international desk.

Did you get an email confirmation showing you in J? If so, get a fax number and fax it to DL. That might help them sort it out with AF.

As to seat assignment -- AF is awful in this way. No matter what you think you have (or have reserved) it is comment to show up at the airport and end up in a different seat.

When traveling AF, esp with an upgrade, I make sure I have a confirmation in hand BEFORE getting off with the agent. That way you have confirmation number to work with . Of all the ST carriers, I've heard AF's name most frequently with theses stories of post ticketing problems.

Dave