Problems flying SEA - AMS - ARN via Delta / KLM (ticketed via American Express)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ravi Rao, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ravi Rao

Ravi Rao Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP and sorry about your difficulties at SEA.

There isn't enough information to speculate, but did you have a ticket number (on DL, a number starting with 06 and having about twelve digits, as opposed to the PNR which is usually a string of six letters and/or numbers) and printout of a receipt in your documents? This is one way to confirm whether the ticket was ever issued.

When OLCI was not successful, I would have phoned DL and spent the time necessary during the evening before the flight to straighten out the problem. I needed to do this a number of times during the merger.

Finally, I'm confused (no blame here at all, just a comment) why you didn't just purchase the tickets from DL rather than paying AmEx's ticketing service fee when you know that you want to take DL and KLM/AF. Unless AmEx is coordinating a complicated itinerary, I personally find it more efficient to deal with DL directly myself and use my AmEx card to protect me if there's a problem.

Ravi Rao likes this.
  3. Ravi Rao

Ravi Rao Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, MSPeconomist! I just wanted to clarify that I'm not the author of the blog post, nor the person who traveled or was affected.That's someone else. I only posted the blog post in here, wondering if the experts had an opinion :)

I'll send a pointer to this thread to the author of the blog post and see if he wants to participate in here.

Thanks for your help!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding; I wan't paying attention to names.

5. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is definitely confusing. I had something somewhat similar happen recently. I booked through a TA only because that's the only way I could book using points. Very simple itinerary. Night before travel I can't check in. I call DL and find out that I only have a one-way return ticket. Saturday night, too late to contact TA and get anything done. I had to buy a one-way outbound ticket at last-minute prices. I had gotten email confirmation, upgrades on the outbound, the whole bit.

It turned out that after the ticket was issued, DL kicked back about an illegal (but bookable) connection that was in the system. They corrected it and contacted the TA to rebook a valid connection. Somehow the TA 'zeroed' out (DL's words) the ticket and rebooked only the return legs. The reason I still got upgrades/could display itinerary/etc is because apparently these things key off a PNR and not necessarily off a valid ticket.

I had a good ending. I contacted the TA as soon as I got back. They contacted DL, sorted it out, agreed it was the TA's fault and sent me a check to reimburse me for the cost of the outbound legs (that I had already paid for with miles).

I thought something similar might have happened with the situation the OP cited, except....I don't get the part about the DL agent saying there's no ticket and then charging to cancel the ticket. ??? Something's seriously crazy about that. If there's no ticket, I don't see what there is to cancel.

OP, I hope the individual on the blog contacts DL and Amex to try to figure out what happened. Someone on the CO forum (I believe) recently posted about a similar situation. I think what happened was he paid with Paypal, Paypal had records showing they submitted payment to CO, but there's a time limit on the transaction and after a certain length of time, CO hadn't picked the payment up, so Paypal cancelled it. Unfortunately there were no automatic notifications from anyone and the problem didn't surface until checkin time.

Checking for a valid ticket number is a good place to start, but as I found out the hard way, the ticket can be modified or even partially cancelled/rebooked without your knowledge. I don't know how you can check that out short of calling the airlines (and that would get real old, real fast).

6. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like someone from Delta saw this and posted on the blog. Hopefully they're able to get to the bottom of it and make things right.

7. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused how the 'unissued' tickets were cancelled if they never existed. Obviously they were in DL's system if they were cancelled, they had to be!