Problems Booking fares to Taiwan on AA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Griz Shel, Jan 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've wrestled with aa.com for quite awhile and just about ready to throw in the towel and give up on booking trips to Taipei through AA. More than 90% of the itineraries shown on the website are unbookable - they take you up to the pre-purchase page until the selected itinerary simply vanishes from the screen and I get a this flight is no longer available. In fact, it seems that the only itineraries that are ever bookable on aa.com have to involve JL metal transpacific flights. I've also had difficulty finding a online booking site that is capable of spitting out; most AA + partner itineraries that will earn full AA miles. These problems have bee going on for years now and it is not improving.

Of course at the momemt I am also interested in being able to specific booking S or higher fare class itineraries in order to be able to get the double miles bonus.

Anyone have suggestions as to where and how to book AA mileage and status-earning tickets (while beinng able to specify fare class and observe the selected class?

I'm about ready to give up on AA and book (as an alternative to UA for which I no longer have any good reason to use to fly to Asia) a Eva Air premium economy ticket instead (but that requires booking a separate US domestic RT ticket to the Eva gateway city as they don't sell tickets with the non-Eva flights included.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call. UA & DL offer this on their site but AA does not.

In general or just for Premium Economy?

3. Griz Shel
    Original Member

Griz Shel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best Premium Economy fares to Taiwan are usually on Eva or China Airlines, so it might not be smart to go to One World when I want PE seats. But there's an additional problem, I cannot figure out how to book any standard economy tickets to Taiwan on aa.com (or really elsewhere online) that involve AA metal transpacific (at least at the lower fare classes that are tantalizingly displayed online and theoretically do exist). One constantly gets "this fare is no longer available" messages towards the end of the booking process. Do you mean to say that this also requires a phone call to AA?

I think it's been like this at least a year or two, so really surprised that AA seems to not care much about selling tickets on their metal when the final destination is Taiwan.
    I suppose another alternative is to book a competitively priced AA ticket to Hong Kong (relatively easy to do) and then separate HKG-TPE tickets - but seems ridiculous to have to do that.

4. VNAFlyer

VNAFlyer Member

Status Points:
    I've had issues when it comes to JL-operated flights, whether coded JL or AA. There's definitely something about AA's booking engine that "miscommunicates" with other airlines about what inventory is actually available.

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call AA and have an agent book the flights. If the agent will waive the phone ticketing fee because you couldn't purchase it online, go ahead and purchase it on the phone. If the agent won't waive the fee, have the agent place the itinerary on hold, and then you can purchase it online.

whkento and flyforawg like this.
  6. ghstudio

ghstudio Member

Status Points:
    VNAflyer is right on...you can't see all the connections available on line, so you have to call american to find out the options. There will be no charge. I suggest you use any of the booking engines to see what one world connections there are to your destination...that way you will know to ask the agent to look at cathay or other options. I would fly cathay before any aa or jal flight....even in economy. In business class they are lightyears ahead of AA/JAL.

7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's apparently a new policy on AA to waive the booking fee for awards that can't be booked online. Not all agents seem to know this, so in some cases one may have to remind and agent (or call back).

flyforawg likes this.
  8. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    My parents had similar issues booking tickets to Japan. They took care of it over the phone (over the course of two days) without any charge. My dad also was impressed with the polite attitude of the agent(s) he dealt with.