Problem with multiple AA card signups?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by swngair, Jan 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I've been hearing for a while that you can signup for the AA Amex and Visa at the same time. I wasn't exactly sure what the procedure was, so I just filled out the form in two browsers, submitted the first one, and then after it said approved, submitted the second one. The second one gave me a system error, so I had to start over, and when I did it was NOT approved (it said "application received"... we'll get back to you in two weeks, or something like that). Did I do something wrong here?

TAHKUCT and jbcarioca like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You did nothing wrong. The reason for using two browsers is to make sure that you are applying for the Amex and the Visa card. When people used one browser they have, at times, inadvertently applied for the same card because of the browser cache.

Just because you got the "we will get back to you" does not mean that it is disapproved. Keep the faith.

tondoleo, jbcarioca and swngair like this.
  3. Okay, thanks deant! Guess I'll have to wait and see.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They often have "instant approval". When two cards are applied for in close succession they'll often make a more detailed analysis, assuming that the browser cache issue to which deant referred is not the issue.

swngair likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should've given you a phone # to call to find out the status for the application received.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can call regular Citi AA customer service to find out your status. If needed, they will transfer your call to an appropriate department.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually this is not the case. They just state that you will receive a response in the mail.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. I just got an email:

Soo... I guess they're not allowing this any more?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Called the application center. They had two approved applications, and one denied. So I guess when I got the system error, the application actually went through after all, and when I filled it out the second time it showed up as a duplicate, and that's what the email referred to. Sounds like it's all good!

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent news!

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you have Citi AA cards before? I got them in October 2010 and canceled them in October 2011. I hear that usually after 18 months after getting the first AA card, you can apply for the same card. Does this currently work ? If yes, I would apply for them again.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. No, these were my first ones.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi does not look favorably on repeat applications for the same product if bonuses were taken the first time and the card was cancelled after the bonus was awarded. If no bonus was involved they tend to be less bothered. These factors are automated, so sometimes you can get an agent to have a supervisor override a decline on that basis. Sometimes.

14. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought (heard stories) that usually after 18-24 months when you got your first card, you become like a 'first-time holder" for the same card.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is sometimes, but not always, true. Issuers who have very rich signup offers now are screening people who signed up for such an offer, stayed long enough to get the payoff, then closed the account.

tondoleo likes this.
  16. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe is is 18+ months after your prior card account was closed.

TAHKUCT and jbcarioca like this.
  17. Okay, this just got even weirder. I received the cards in the mail and... there's no Amex. I got two of the same AA Visa card! When I called to activate them I asked if I would get the signup bonus for both cards and she assured me that I would. Hey, no complaints I guess since Visa is accepted in more places. But still, that was a surprise!

alohastephen, jbcarioca and MLW20 like this.
  18. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully, the Amex will show up in the mail in a few days. If it does not you must call and insure it gets sent to you.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on your successful card apps!

This supposed rule of waiting 18-24 months is just an assumed rule. I do not believe that there is any rhyme or reason to how frequently we can get the cards.
    I am only speaking from experience. Last year I got 4 Citi AA cards- 75,000 mile bonus on each.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. That's the thing, Tondoleo... there is no Amex account! The account rep had two cards on file, two visas of exactly the same type.

tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
  21. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happened to me too!
    2visas

jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  22. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you wait a few days. Call again and see if they have a record of your Amex request. Good luck.

jbcarioca and alohastephen like this.
  23. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bizarre. Citi is a frustrating credit card issuer with which to do business.

jbcarioca and alohastephen like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi is quite famously error-prone. Fines and business restrictions in many countries, Japan most recently, suggest that they always manage to just miss doing things well. I do not wat to denigrate them, but they seem to manage to screw things up always.

Just last week I was credited for my 25,000 mile bonus. This week they reversed it. I still have never received the extra credit for AA tickets bought through them. I am on the verge of canceling once again due to their inability to manage the account properly.

tondoleo likes this.
  25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure you always clear your browser history and cookies between apps.

alohastephen, TAHKUCT and jbcarioca like this.