Resolved Problem with iPhone/iPad Notifications

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by FriendlySkies, Oct 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the past 24 hours, the MP app will send me alerts about already read threads and PMs. If the phone is on vibrate, it buzzes quite loudly for 30~ seconds, while the same happens if the sound is on (though you hear the text tone about 10 times).

Is it possible to turn off the pop-up about a new reply to a thread, etc?

jbcarioca and sendbillmoney like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I am seeing the same thing for the past couple of days. Even if I unwatch the thread on the phone or on the web it continues to show old threads ... I fortunately only get a short vibrate or sound.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    While I will be looking into any kind of faulty notifications on the app, there is a simple solution to turning off or toning down notifications for the milepoint and all other apps that will work for the time being.

iPhone Notification Settings
    Go to Settings---> Notifications----> milepoint
    From here you should switch all options to OFF (Badge App Icon, Sound, View in Lock Screen). This will effectively stop notifications for the app until we get a fix.
    [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. I'm already looking into it and I'll respond as soon as I get some more information.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changing the settings on MP has absolutely no effect on what is happening on the iPhone. I received a conversation earlier today and have read it and since then I have been getting repeated notifications in the app that the conversation is there. This on top of mounting reminders of threads ... all with no alert preferences set to indicate same. I guess the only option is to turn off notifications on the phone. Unfortunate it is getting tiresome to be told time and time again .. oh well...

aptraveler, jbcarioca and misterbwong like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curiouser and Curiouser ... milePoint is not listed in my notification list ... I do not have notifications for milepoint active. Could this be a renmant of the push notification? I used to have that but now I see no method to activate it nor deactivate the push notification - but I think that is what is happening.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  7. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am at the point of removing the app. What a pain in the ass

jbcarioca and sendbillmoney like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been doing some testing. I do not think it is related to the iPhone notifications per se. As mentioned above I have my Notification Centre switch for this app set to OFF. However on the notifications page for this app at the bottom I think it is related to the

View in Lock Screen setting

Turning that OFF appears to have stopped the endless notifications for me. I still think this is somehow related to the old push notifications. I did not get any comment when I raised this above.

I will continue to test and will post here any new or different findings.

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

9. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    We have been testing it personally in the office and there is definitely some funny stuff going on with notifications. We are working with the company that made the app and hopefully they can make the push notification settings better in the actual app.

Did you have iOS6 or something older?

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As noted, we're trying to work with the vendor. Here's the almost sad part - started as being the best app among all travel sites, really worked great. However, it got acquired by Internet Brands and seems to have suffered since then. Not sure why but given this decline in positive development since the acquisition, we do hope that our plan to move to a great mobile skin can be accomplished sooner rather than later.

jbcarioca and USAF_Pride like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    My iOS level per the General->About is 5.0 (9A334)

Since setting View in Lock Screen to OFF, I no longer get the notifications scrolling across the screen. I can get some level of Notifications by having Notification center set to OFF and Alert Style set to Banners and that will give me a scroll across the top it appears summarizing the number of alerts I have and this is better than each individual one coming on the lock screen which is what I was seeing before.

Let me know if you want me to test anything specific ... happy to oblige.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunate background information ... I still find the app very very useful and often prefer to use it rather than my laptop as it is really much faster for me to quickly see what I want to see... granted it is not as full function as the web version.

I am concerned about an mobile skin (and admit I know nothing about them) but if it means using a browser to access then to me that raises slowness alarm bells.

Good luck with any development moving forward.

13. foofiter

foofiter Silver Member

Status Points:
    From midnight last night to 9AM EST I got 17 notifications, all reapeats, and all things I have already viewed and are not new.

I am trying adjusting my settings to turn every type of notification off for the milepoint app so we she see if that helps.

Hope this gets fixed soon. Burns up the phone battery!

For reference I am on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    The iphone app is now driving me bonkers! I wish I only got 17 notifications. 5 times during the night, the app will start disgorging alerts all of a sudden that don’t stop unless and until I wake it from sleep and enter my passcode. Just now, at least 30 separate bongings woke me up, and I had the iphone on silent. The constant buzzing was enough. I’ve been in the middle of conversations in restaurants and had my tablemates look at me as the phone buzzes and buzzes.

Used to love the app, but I’m about to toss it and never go back. This is simply intolerable. Rather than waiting for somebody else to create an app for you, remove anything to do with notifications from within the app now! The email alerts I get are just fine with me. I don’t need to have my phone banging away at my brain incessantly.

Edited to add: I have an iPhone 5 with iOS6. This problem only started not more than a week ago. I’ve also now seen the proposed fixes above, so hope to be able to get back to sleep for the rest of the night. I am trying it with “View in Lock Screen” set to off.

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more thing about the notifications I’ve been receiving: it was sending me new posting alerts for threads that had no new postings. Endless notifications.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    See if my solution above helps you.

jbcarioca and Koschmar like this.
  17. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone.

I've edited my original post because I should have been more clear. As ACMM pointed out, the "View in Lock Screen" option should end notifications, but go ahead and just switch them all off for now if you want until we get a fix worked out. Hopefully that ends up being sooner than later, but we are also going to try and fix up some options within the app itself. I'll post more as I get word from the developer.

18. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wrote above that I’d switched the setting for “View in Lock Screen” to OFF. That seems to have worked in stopping endless vomits of multiple repeating notifications, thankfully. Now, I only get the notifications right after I enter my passcode to gain access to the screens, and they’re only the correct notifications, not ones from threads that have no new posts.

Thanks. The relief is quite palpable!:)

19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it helped :)

jbcarioca, From NYC and Koschmar like this.
  20. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Just received a reply from the developer:
    "Hello, We're aware of the issue and it is currently one of our top priorities for resolution. We're sorry you're experiencing this issue. We hope to have a resolution soon."

We're not happy it's just one of their top priorities as we know of no other issue more important right now. We'll keep needling them until they get the resolution we want. Apologies to all our members.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following thread was closed:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/no-i-dont-want-the-ipad-app.48929/

apparently as a duplicate of this one.

I don't believe that estnet was reporting the same issue. The first post in that thread was:

"And NO I don't appreciate a popup appearing every time I click on anything while browsing!"

Combine that with the thread's subject ("NO I DON'T want the iPad app") and my interpretation is that estnet is using the Safari browser, and is getting constant reminders that there is an iOS app available for this site. I got the same yesterday while browsing MP on my Nexus 7 Android tablet using Chrome. Interestingly, I no longer see it on my iPad with Safari (but I did maybe a month ago; there's a separate thread somewhere from that time where others were seeing it, too).

FriendlySkies, jbcarioca and Koschmar like this.
  22. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Thank you and noted. I'll look into it immediately to see if there is a glitch somewhere. I'll send estnet a PM, but since the discussion turned toward the app issues I won't reopen that one to avoid confusion.

23. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just went ahead and turned off notifications for Milepoint ... I check the app on my own probably once a day anyway, so no need For instant notifications anymore anyway

FriendlySkies likes this.
  24. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I had the same issue with my iPad this past weekend. It was disconcerting and disappointing as I thought Mr. Petersen was trying to contact me to discuss the upcoming NBA season.

25. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I replied to your PM. I AM NOT using the app. I am using the browser and that is the problem-every time I click I get a popup asking me to download the app!