Problem booking with travel agent - what would u do?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jasonmh26, Oct 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jasonmh26

jasonmh26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before I recently found this site and learned soooo much more about travel than I ever knew before, I booked a trip thru a travel agent. The flights are ABQ > STT and back on American for my wife and I.
    Nov 3 2012:
    flight 1356 ABQ > DFW
    flight 2244 DFW > MIA
    flight 1819 MIA > STT
    Nov 11:
    flight 2230 STT > MIA
    flight 1943 MIA > DFW
    flight 1935 DFW > ABQ

The flights were booked by the travel agent, but supposedly in my name and AA #, so I "should" be able to make changes ( I think ) on my own.
    Here are my issues that I am hoping to get some advice on:

-Right now we are booked in economy with no confirmed seat assignment on most segments, and on the few that we do have the seats are terrible, like my wife and I both in middle seats in different rows.

-I asked the travel agent to check into and let me know about pricing for upgrading to first/business class (or premium economy) and they told me that there were no first/business seats available on any of the segments. I know next to nothing compared to most of the people on MP, but even I was able to see that there should be first/business seats available.

-Even though the ticket was supposed to be tied to my AA#, when I log in I don't see the trip in my profile. I am new to AA, so wasn't sure if this was normal.

I don't know what booking class the tickets were made in,and I am not sure if all tickets are "upgradable". I have 33,000 AA miles in my account, but don't expect to be able to use them to upgrade. I am hoping that at a minimum that I can somehow confirm some seats and get some better seats if we have to stay in economy. What I would really like to do is upgrade some of the segments to business/first or premium economy.
    I know that it is not a great situation, and the trip is soon. Do I just suck it up and chalk it up to inexperience on my part and stick with what I have now? Is it best for me to call American and see if I can work something out over the phone?

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suggest you post this in the American Airlines forum where it's more likely to attract the attention of some folks who can probably help you out with valuable information (unfortunately, I'm not one of them).

3. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should ask the Travel Agent for the PNR (record locator). With this you may be able to see your itinerary on AA.com or at least call in and get your seats selected.

The itinerary your TA prepared should have the PNR on it, and perhaps the fare paid. When I use a TA, I get all this info.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    -I asked the travel agent to check into and let me know about pricing for upgrading to first/business class (or premium economy) and they told me that there were no first/business seats available on any of the segments. I know next to nothing compared to most of the people on MP, but even I was able to see that there should be first/business seats available.[/quote]

Go here; put in your Flight # & Dates.You should be able to see open seats on all classes.

Exactly. Look for the 6 Digit PNR then input it into My Reservation and it should pull up fine.

Maybe call them up. But I do know you can upgrade your seats to prem eco (I think they're called preferred) at the airport ... if they're space

5. jasonmh26

jasonmh26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. I called AA and was able to get the flight to show up under my AA number. They did confirm that there was space to upgrade to first on all segments and gave me a price. They said though that I could not process the change through them or via the website. Because of the way it was booked it can only be changed by the TA, so I am going back to them to try again.
    Thanks again for the help. I know that many times it is an obvious answer, but sometimes there are some great ideas on here that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, so I appreciate the help.