Probe Marketing Gives Me the Finger

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by frequentflyer, Mar 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received two emails asking me to respond to an invitation to attend one of two opinion sessions for HHonors. $250 compensation was offered. The a third email from another person indicated another session with $200 compensation. When I called for clarification, I was asked to send an email. The response was that the $250 offers were for Diamonds, at Gold it's $200, and the Diamond invite was sent to me by mistake (twice!). I responded to the $200 invite and am being ignored. So HHonors hires this confederacy of dunces to alienate me from the HHonors brand (I am also SPG Gold). After all, it's the only way to retaliate against Probe Marketing's fumbling.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is sending you an e-mail by mistake giving you the finger? Are you, in fact, a diamond or gold member with HHonors?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if they got enough other responses before your reply then they might not need your participation.

If this is what it takes to alienate you from a brand then I wonder how many you've been through over the years.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had that experience recently, but with Marriott Rewards. I was sent a survey link and a promise of points upon completion. Halfway through the survey, it kicked me out with basically the same message in your post. I was a little miffed as I devoted my time to answer 10 or so questions and then was kicked to the curb.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that if they sent an invitation (even if only the Gold one) and one was courteous enough to respond, one could expect at least an acknowledgement even if the participation limit had been reached. I can see how a failure to even acknowledge the response could be considered discourteous.

However, if the OP is put off enough at the discourtesy to consider taking it out on HHonors, he might consider writing to HHonors and explaining that the action (or lack thereof) by the polling outfit reflects badly on HHonors itself and he is disappointed. They (HHonors) probably would like to know this, and his protest would be likely to be more effective than simply withholding patronage. He (OP) might even receive an apology, although I wouldn't necessarily expect it. Courtesy seems sometimes to be in short supply these days.

6. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes??? You are too generous Counsellor. :eek:

frequentflyer, Counsellor and estnet like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nicely written on both parts.
    I sincerely think that Hilton do care and whenever they can, they do try to prevent it, or at least address it.
    Just that it is not every time when they level of addressing my concern matches with my own expectations but this is what it is (everywhere).

frequentflyer and Counsellor like this.
  8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like you were sent an email to participate in a Focus Group. As such, there's never a guarantee to be accepted. The usual process is that you send them an email and then they would call you back for screening if they choose to contact you at all.

KENNECTED and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. frequentflyer

frequentflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, Hilton apologized and awarded me consolation points. Focus Suites/Probe Marketing also apologized and sent me a check. HHonors, at which I am Gold (also SPG Gold, btw) and I are good now. Yes, I understand the notification was not a definite invite. Some of y'all miss the point. Two emails for $250 and a third for $200. I call to find out what's going on. Told to send an email. Response to my email was 2/3 invites were a mistake. Folks, they came into my space & I made the effort to set things straight. They handled things badly in HHonor's name; representing HHonors. If they can broadcast email from a list, they can broadcast a thank you even though you were not selected for participation email, especially after botching the original effort (at least in my case).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I find it pretty hard to believe they sent you any sort of check ( well for more than $5:)) but I suppose you made such a stink that they paid you off to get rid of you.

BTW HH Gold or SPG Gold are not the status groups most hotel programs are super interested in hearing from.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This reminds me of Hyatt's recruiting of members for their private feedback community. A couple of years ago I received this "invitation":

As one of our most frequent and valued guests, you know our properties almost better than we do! That's why we'd love to invite you to become a member of our Hyatt Insiders online community. This is your opportunity to be our eyes and ears on the ground and help us continue to evolve and innovate as a company. I sincerely hope that you will join us in our private community of travel aficionados to offer your thoughts and opinions and to debate and discuss topics related to Hyatt, Hyatt Gold Passport® and the travel experience.

What's involved?
    As a Hyatt Insider, expect to spend five to 15 minutes online per week contributing to various community activities such as surveys, discussion forums and chats with an elite group of Diamond and Platinum members and executives from the Hyatt leadership team.

What's in it for you?
    This is a unique opportunity for you to directly provide your insights and perspectives to Hyatt and help influence our marketing and product decisions, as well as shape the future of the guest experience. By participating in this community, you will be stepping into the role as a leader at Hyatt, and will be contributing feedback and insights that are shared among all leaders across the company.

How do you join? Take the survey!
    To see if you qualify, please complete a brief five-minute questionnaire. If selected, we will notify you shortly thereafter. All of your responses will be kept confidential and will not be used or distributed for any other purpose.​

If you read the first three paragraphs, you may think they actually have invited you (I was Diamond at the time) to join that online community. Alas, no. They have selected you to spend waste five minutes on a survey, based on which they may or may not include you. Many were excluded and it pissed off a lot of folks back then (see FT thread).

Personally, I am not participating in any surveys unless I am compensated. If there is any indication that I need to qualify first, it's "Delete Delete Delete".

frequentflyer likes this.