Probability of lower fares after Summer?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Jul 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I realize that travel during Summer is expensive, but current fares even for Fall dates are pretty high. For example, ORD-Japan can easily be ~$1500. As it happens, I do need to visit Japan sometime during the Nov-Dec period.

Now you guys are as astute observers of AA as any out there --- well, others can be astute but also downright nasty if you ask a simple question :) --- so, how long would you wait for lower fares before biting the bullet and buying whatever is offered?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait till 2 months before the travel date. Also, overseas departures on Thanksgiving or the day before are usually undersold. If you are booked to depart on those dates, and check for current offers on the departure date, you can possibly score a hefty refund. I once had my fare reduced from $1300 to $100 on a pre-Thanksgiving overseas flight.

3. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is exciting, but I am not sure how this "refund" would work. I know at one point AA used to refund the difference if the fares fell, but that was a while ago. Do you mean, cancel the old ticket with applicable penalty and buy a new one? My apologies if I am missing something obvious here.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am certain there will be sales and temporary low prices on specific routes/regions in the coming years, but I do not think the standard prices we saw prior to 2012 will return in the near future on AA or any other airline. $1500 fares to NRT are the new normal and I honestly think we all start shifting our view on what tickets cost. I started in the FFer game on a $400 RT AI fare ORD-NRT years ago and have taken quite a few flights below, at, or slightly above that since.

Sadly I think the days of seeing that type of pricing (recent mistake fares like the one on KE excluded of course) has passed.

That being said, I did book a NRT trip in November for $900, but I did it as part of a multicity itinerary that includes a stop in HKG in September as well.

Aktchi and IPBrian like this.
  5. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $400 RT? That's crazy! I wish I was in the game back then.

In regards to refunds, if the difference is greater than the change fare you can get the difference refunded to you I forget if it's a voucher or to FOP.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that particular incident happened a long time ago. I only asked to change a seat, and the agent offered to change the whole ticket. There was no change fee, b/c all dates and flight numbers stayed the same. That may be different now.

Aktchi likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Without a fee? Oh yes, it's very, very, different now. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup! I found FT while trying to figure out what I could do with the 12K AA miles I earned off that $400 trip. Haven't looked back since. ;)

Aktchi and rwoman like this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's a fair statement on domestic fares, at least. The $200+ fares have become the $250-$260+ fares when they are on sale.

SFO-LHR was on sale about 10 years back for $198RT+ and back then the taxes were significantly lower than they are now. Won't see those again. With the exception of one year where BA had a big winter sale in August, it's pretty rare to see any decent Europe fares until after Labor Day.

10. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope it is only "Summer normal" but then perhaps my adjustment to new prices has not kicked in yet. :) Anyway, I am not expecting the fares to go to last year's level, but only below the current level.

Down the memory lane...My best "regular airfare" was ORD-DEL rt for $450 on DL. No FD etc, regular fare, albeit a limited time promotion. That blows away the next best ORD-DEL, which was around $700 on Tarom (Romanian). ORD-LHR for around $300 or ORD-NRT for $500 was also routine for a few years.