Proactive Customer Appreciation Email

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received this email within minutes of landing. While it is a nice touch, I don't blame United for mother nature and choppy air encountered enroute.

I would find an email more valuable if they "reached out" for things that United actually does control. Like having enough meals on board so that when they get to you seat, they don't say "we only have blah left. Or making sure that the plane has blankets and pillows.

jupper, mht_flyer, genemk2 and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And indeed when our plane returned to the gate last week for a 2 hr mechanical delay, causing us to misconnect in IAD for a TATL flight, we received no email. I rebooked us on a less convenient route via LHR while we were parked at the gate at SFO, or else we'd have been spending Thanksgiving in Dulles.

Infinite1K likes this.
  3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did not get a letter from United.
    On November 18th, flight UA/Express 6528 from LAX to PHX , usually a 50 minutes flight,was two hours late.
    I was curious about the delay and inquired with the crew.
    I was told the delay started with the first morning flight as the paperwork the flight captain needed to fly was not available and in order...
    "...the crew had been trying to catch up with the schedule from that point on..."
    I sent a note to the 1K desk twice to inquire but so far without response, just an acknowledgement my email had been received and stating "...For post-travel and all other inquiries, we are currently experiencing an increased volume due to our peak travel season. As a result, it will take us longer than normal to respond to you..."

4. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes! Last week I had to settle for a horrible chicken salad instead of a delicious ham sandwich. I'm wondering how hard it is to have a couple more of the tasty options on hand when there are only 8 seats in the cabin and one option is obviously going to be more popular.

5. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I much prefer the chicken salad to the ham sandwich, and they are usually out :)

But I can't remember the last breakfast flight I was on that I had an option other than eggs... where my 2k miles...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hit or miss. I flew SFO-HKG and we were delayed by maybe 30 minutes due to fog, and made up 10 minutes in flight, so we ended up being just 20 minutes delayed. I had an email from UA waiting for me when I arrived in HKG, offering 10,000 miles, $250 e-cert, or 20% off any economy ticket. It pretty much only happens to me on international flights, not domestic -- I wonder if they are just more proactive on those routes.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was the flight that bad?!?!

8. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a few minutes of what I would call medium chop, but the rest was light chop.

Also the Captain had warned us before takeoff that we would encounter some turbulence and had instructed the flight attendants to remain seated, so they didn't start the cabin service until about 45 minutes into the flight.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The email that I had was exactly what I quoted. No additional offers were included ;)

10. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only accept those emails if they come with at least a $600 voucher. :)

hulagrrl210 and genemk2 like this.
  11. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hear about all of these pro-active mails from UA, but have yet to receive one myself. Might just be a lowly 1P/Plat, but they should be mailing all customers they have mail addresses for on a flight.

As for what kind of compensation to offer, that they can distinguish between elite levels, fare paid etc. ...

But the gesture of sending that e-mail should be uniform.

Scottrick likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping it changes when I reach 1K this month. I'm already getting better responses to complaints/suggestions as a Plat, but nothing proactive.