Pro Tip: Show ID FIRST before scanning mobile boarding pass

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Infinite1K, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was scolded the other day by a TSA ID checker because I scanned my mobile boarding pass before I gave him my ID.

Apparently the scanners only stay on for a few seconds, so they need to have the IDs before your scan your mobile boarding pass.

Of course his tone of voice implied that I had done something wrong and it was my fault that the they (the TSA) hasn't figured out how to scan boarding passes properly after all these years. :rolleyes:

Paolo Scuri and zpaul like this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually wait for them to tell me to scan it.

zpaul likes this.
  3. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to go through the westin TSA entrance at DTW and their scanner was "temporarily out of service". It sounded like it was a little bit more permanent than temporary. Luckily I was early that day!

zpaul likes this.
  4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same tone and lecture at IAD on Saturday.

zpaul likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paper is so trouble free in comparison to the mobile boarding passes.

Grace, zpaul, bonnerbl and 3 others like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed...I only use mobile if no other convenient option. Too many fails using it.

7. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one time I used a mobile boading pass whenever I tried to put the phone over the scanner the accelerometer freaked out and the boarding pass image kept rotating back and forth between portrait and landscape and the scanner couldn't actually scan it.

zpaul likes this.
  8. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had an issue with mobile bp's and they seem to scan easier than some of the paper ones.

zpaul likes this.
  9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does your phone have a "lock rotation" function?

I usually use the mobile BP on the Delta app, but make a screenshot on my iPhone (hold + home button) so that I don't have to reload the app in case I exit out and it wants to reload in a dead zone. And I usually have my rotation lock on. The only trouble is that I sometimes have to turn the brightness up since I leave it low to save battery, but the scanners at JFK and LAX are pretty good about picking it up.

There are some instances where I get a paper BP, like when I see that a flight is zeroed out and that there's a chance of a bump. Easier for a GA to remember you when you give them a paper BP with your name on it.

zpaul and yaychemistry like this.
  10. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to look into it. It may have that feature and I'm just ignorant of it... anyone know if Windows Phone 7 can do that?
    Gotta keep the hope for a bump/ug every flight and get the paper bp.

zpaul likes this.
  11. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always remember that Starbucks and McYack pay more to their employees, so they get better ones

zpaul and yaychemistry like this.
  12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. I was just trying to speed up the process. Lesson learned :(

zpaul likes this.
  13. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but with a mobile boarding pass, I have the guilty pleasure of denying them scribbling on paper boarding passes with their hot pink markers ;)

jetsetr and zpaul like this.
  14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same lecture at ORD. Then again, this was the guy who also told me I had to tell him where I was flying today or I couldn't proceed. Other TDC's seem to be ok with me simultaneously handing them my ID with one hand while scanning my phone with the other.

I've only had an inop scanner once and it worked every other time, but a pet peeve is when you approach the TDC and they have to turn on the scanner and wait for it to warm up before you can actually scan your phone. This seems to happen all the time at PIT for some reason.

zpaul likes this.
  15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Friday morning, around 7am, at SEA Seatac airport, the TSA ID checker was denying everyone with a mobile boarding pass. He'd scan it, it would beep, and he sent them to the ticket counter to get a paper boarding pass. He told people it had been rejecting them all morning and to complain to their airline. The priority line had about 9 people in it and three of them were sent back. Seems more problem than solution.

16. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few weeks ago at SFO T2, the mobile pass scanners were not yet situated at the TSA check-in. I only had a mobile boarding pass. My TSA person asked a supe what to do, and the supe said to just read the mobile pass and make sure the name matched my ID.

Thought it was a little strange that they did that, but very glad that they didn't make me go back to the AA desk to get a paper boarding pass!

Now, however, at least as of last Saturday, the TSA mobile readers were installed at SFO T2.

17. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if this is SOP or just a rare spark of intelligence in an environment otherwise devoid of it.

18. meswanson

meswanson Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always print paper and store it in my carry on. That way if the scanner is inoperable or the agent I get to happens to be the one without the scanner I am set. Only had to be sent back to get a paper boarding pass at IAH to learn my lesson. Works well for me.