Privacy on plane: in special cases

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kansaskeith, May 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    This brief excerpt from a New York Times story about Chen Guangcheng, the blind Chinese dissident who had sought refuge in Beijing's U.S. embassy and then flew, with his family, today, PEK - EWR in a hastily arranged trip in the 'Business First' section of UA 88, a 777-200:

"Even on the plane, flight attendants took pains to keep other passengers from invading his privacy, drawing a curtain swiftly around the first rows of the plane where he was sitting with his family."

My question: have any of you ever seen this done before? A curtain to block off special passengers? I thought even the curtains between F and Y were being phased back, though not totally eliminated, because of safety and security regs, so it really surprised me to read about curtains around one family.

I've logged a lot of miles -- though nothing compared to some of you -- and have never seen this. Just wondered if y'all have. I'm also curious why in the pre-bankruptcy days, AA's pilots never negotiated a security curtain around 2H and 2J, their rest area on 767-300 flights, hehheh.

Also wonder who paid the same-day booking fare for four people in Business First, PEK - EWR! Somehow I doubt it was him!

2. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone knows that the U.S. government fares on United are rock bottom. Who paid? We all did!

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a new one for me. I have never seen a passenger receive that kind of treatment.
    Maybe requested by some authority?

4. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not knowing much about the Biz First cabin on the new UA (I did fly it on CO a couple times), I was even wondering logistically what the FAs would affix the curtain to in order to hang it!

5. dAAlasFF

dAAlasFF Active Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen it but will ask if I can get it the next time I fly Biz.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, when you think about it, if that's true. . . that country's citizen walks in uninvited to the U.S. embassy, causes quite the fuss, and the U.S. pays last-day biz class fare not only for him but his family to come to this country? Wonder if that is true? That's not the way it worked with folks who came through Ellis Island, was it? :) Oh well, hope UA didn't have an extra "curtain" fee!

Kalboz likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't PEK-EWR have been a CO aircraft?

8. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite likely, I suppose, but don't know what if anything UA has done to the configs and/or policies, and besides it has been several years since I was on a CO 777.

9. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen seats with wrap-around curtains that are usually designated as crew rest seats. Maybe he was sitting in one of those types of seats.

10. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only time I've seen that was on a Qantas 747 in coach. There were a few seats used for crew rest, and they had a curtain that closed off just those seats.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA has them on some aircraft, too.

12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMiles: this was what I was trying to get at in my question (in addition to whether Uncle Sam and Aunt Hillary picked up the tab!) Realizing as you have already pointed out that Sunday's 777 was probably originally a CO plane, I am curious where you have observed these crew-rest curtains in UA aircraft: coach or up-front, and on what models of planes (if you recall)?

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some 777 have them in coach for FAs. Seats 17-20 J+K.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_1.php

I thought the refurb eliminated them, but it seems they move to the back?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_3_New.php

I have also seen curtains around premium seats for the pilots. I think it's 9AB on some 777.

LizzyDragon84 and kansaskeith like this.
  14. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh ok. I found that curtain a little strange though, because it was a nighttime flight from LAX-SYD. After completing their duties and turning the lights off for sleeping, two attractive flight attendants, a man and a woman pulled the curtain back, went inside, and then closed the curtain. I'm not saying anything else besides sleeping was going on, but it just looked really funny seeing them do that, lol.