Priority Pass - PENFED

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by euromannn, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice, a spin on US Bank's program. I am surprised to see that it is AMEX branded rather than VISA/MC.

3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I like getting 5 pts/$ on my Penfed AMEX for buying airline tickets. Comes out to approx 8 cents/$ when using the rewards to buy airline tickets. I bought tickets using my penfed points LAX-ZRH RT & LAX-PIT o/w. Both earned AA miles & was able to use my AA status on these tickets. :)

Great card for buying airline tickets & using the pts for airline ticket redemption. ;)

4. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get a free priority pass club membership --

Is this the standard priority pass level?
    Thanks for the post. Thinking I might apply but rueing the fact that I just spent $3k+ on airline tix.:oops:

5. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I spoke with the PFCU CSR she "claimed" it was the standard pass $399 equivalent from PP which is unlimited access.
    I did not confirm the guest fee if any.

6. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is the standard pass version, from what I can tell, but keep in mind that you do need to spend $15,000 on the card to get this benefit.

7. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to recheck with PFCU about the PP card option as if it's "standard PP" then you pay $27 each visit AND must spend $15k annually.

Ameriprise World Elite card for $150/yr gives Prestigious PP level with no member fee AND Ameriprise claims no guest fee which is different than PP Presitious directly purchased from PP. Wouldn't be surprised if the Ameriprise CSR rep was wrong about the guest fee.

8. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, here's the webpage for the card. I don't think you have to pay for lounge access once you get it (so maybe it's not the "standard"), but you do definitely have to charge $15,000 to unlock the benefit.

Here's the specific page for the benefit:

Not terribly exciting, but better than nothing I guess.

9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's PP Prestigious level. Thus it saves you $399/yr when you spend $15,000 on the AMEX. ''SO you have 3 options IF your goal is a PP Prestigious level:
    1. PFCU and get it free but spend $15k
    2. Ameriprise pay $150/yr for World ELITE card and get PP free
    3. Pay $399 directly to PP

In a different thread called "Ameriprise World Elite" there is discussion of a FREE PP standard level card from HSBC but you must be located in Poland or Asian countries and since it's standard PP you pay 24 euros each member entry.

So, you are the one who must decide if free lounge access(600 locations, 100 countries, 70 domestic cities) is valuable to you! All I did was post another option to consider with PFCU.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly. More information is always better.

I'd note, though, that the opportunity cost of spending $15,000 is at least $150 with a basic 1% cash back card (and ,most of us have cards that can do better), so it might be easier to just get the Ameriprise card to begin with, unless one also likes the rewards program of the Penfed card.

11. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other big advantage with PFCU is no foreign transaction fees.

12. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I recall, you still get the 1% fee from Visa or Mastercard, but nothing added on by Penfed themselves, and with rewards, that's still a pretty good deal. Certainly better than a lot of other cards.

13. PoorMansBidet
    Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not in the case of the Penfed Premium Rewards Amex. They use the Amex conversion which is known to be quite good and don't add any Forex on top.

santafefran likes this.
  14. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    The AMEX card gives 5 pts/$ (1 pt=1.6 cents when used for air tickets) when buying from airlines. I bought enough AA tickets last year to almost get a free ticket LAX-ZRH RT & o/w PIT-SNA.

15. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I much rather deal with Penfed as opposed to Barclay's. Enough said.