Priority Pass after Platinum Canceled

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TUMD, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received my priority pass card after recently getting the AMEX Platinum card. The expiration on the Priority Pass card is October 2015 but in all likelihood I will cancel this current Platinum in Feb of 2015 when the annual fee comes up. Will this cancel out my priority pass regardless of expiration date or will it still work? Not something I have to worry about for a year but just curious.

Sammich likes this.
  2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't answer your question for sure, but the lounge doesn't just look at the card, they always scan it and it has to be approved. So there IS checking. Not that your question is answered, just adding a data point.

WilliamQ likes this.
  3. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    you will lose the priority pass membership as soon as you cancel you Plat card

rockyrock, TUMD, bigx0 and 2 others like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is right and the reason is that it is the card that would be charged if you, e.g., brought in a visitor. Therefore, attempt to enter a PP lounge automatically triggers an inquiry into whether or not the associated CC account is valid.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    foxberg, WilliamQ, TUMD and 1 other person like this.
  5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured as much. Thanks for the heads up.

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    By this, may I assume if I have two separate CC which offers "complimentary" PP access, I will have two different PP accounts and they will not be linked?

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I understand your situation, but I have 2 PP "Select" accounts from two different CCs. Each CC is linked to a PP account. The PP card that I use triggers the validity inquiry for the associated CC. On top of that, I got the full PP membership by accident, after I lost the PP Select from AMEX and requested a replacement. They sent me the full PP membership card (as opposed to "Select") and I called to alert them about it, but the PP representative essentially told me to just shut up and enjoy the free one-year of full PP membership courtesy of their error!:D

rockyrock, 8MiHi and WilliamQ like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually you did answer my question with a very clear case study as well.

Thanks!

NYCUA1K likes this.
  9. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    correct, your Priority Pass complementary entry is linked to your CC (ie it is a privilege accorded by the CC), in fact, i believe what Priority Pass does is to charge it to your CC.

So if the CC has a privilege of unlimited complementary access or certain number of complementary visits in a year, the person is not billed by the CC company. So when you cancel your CC, the associated Priority Pass would be cancelled, as there is no no longer a CC to link to.

A single CC could tie with a particular Priority Pass card number, so one person could have several Priority Pass cards linked to several CCs. Just remember which one to toss out upon cancelling your CC !;)

WilliamQ and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you purchase a PP membership, AFAIK you should be able to call and change the credit card number associated with it. In fact, you should update the expiration date when necessary. This shouldn't require getting a new PP card and account number.

WilliamQ and Ed Chandler like this.
  11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PP membership is cancelled right away when you cancel your Plat. card. I received a notice from PP in less than a week saying that "we have been informed by American Express to cancel your Priority Pass membership".

SPG, and CX gold will expire on the expiry date indicated on the associated membership card.

IIRC, the PP membership is the only thing that cancels right away when you cancel your Plat card.

WilliamQ likes this.