Priority Luggage Tags not honored across OneWorld

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LookingAhead, Feb 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I fly internationally with OneWorld partners, the "Priority" luggage tags seem to be meaningless. I have yet to seem them honored (meaning those bags come first) at another Oneworld airline. For example, I fly overseas to a BA destination with an AA "Priority" sticker. My bag does not come out with the first bunch of bags when I arrive at the destination. Then on the return trip I check in at BA overseas and get a Priorty tag, change to AA in London and fly to DFW. The bag does not come out in the first bunch of bags in DFW. Why isn't this coordinated across OneWorld? Why doesn't AA honor the BA Priority tags? Anyone else have the same experience?

Skye1 likes this.
  2. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange. The tags for the different OneWorld carriers are often very similar, a neon/florescent "orange" color, same shape, same size (at least for Qantas, Iberia, BA, and AA, that I've used or seen).

3. cwpfly

cwpfly Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, it is more origin/destination dependent than anything else. Whether it is Star, oneWorld or Skyteam, it does not seem to make any difference to me. I wish that it would be as promised, but i estimate that my lifetime average across all three alliances is 50% first wave, 20% middle and 30% last wave (with the rest of the priority tags).

Skye1 likes this.
  4. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had the same with BA and IB.

Skye1 likes this.
  5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    priority luggage isn't a oneworld benefit

Skye1 likes this.
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Spot on. Out of curiousity, looked thru the OneWorld pages, including this one on "Speed and Priority" and found no mention of priority baggage at all. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits/

7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    On Star Alliance my experience is that all carriers use the same fluorescent orange/red priority flag on the bag tags, extend that to all Star Gold members, and generally deliver.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Doesn't *A Gold advertise priority baggage handling as a benefit unlike OW though? LINK.

9. LookingAhead

LookingAhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I am not fully comprehending the complexity involved, but it seems that this would be a no-brainer service to add across OneWorld. Just make it a policy for luggage handlers to look for more than one type of priority tag. There does not appear to be anything computerized - just a manual process. I recently traveled to Nigeria (on AA/BA), then Qatar (on AA/BA), and I will soon go to Malaysia (on AA/CX, return JAL/AA). It would be a very nice to see my luggage popping out early after I have traveled halfway around the world. Apparently Star Alliance offers this benefit (hat tip DestinationDavid above). Hey Suzanne Rubin, are you listening? Maybe you cannot control what the other carriers are doing, but you do have a say at AA. I am sure our other alliance passengers would appreciate this as well.

Skye1 likes this.
  10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="LookingAhead, post: 1200207"IIt seems that this would be a no-brainer service to add across OneWorld. Just make it a policy for luggage handlers to look for more than one type of priority tag.... Apparently Star Alliance offers this benefit (hat tip DestinationDavid above). Hey Suzanne Rubin, are you listening? Maybe you cannot control what the other carriers are doing, but you do have a say at AA. I am sure our other alliance passengers would appreciate this as well.[/quote]

Perhaps instead of asking baggage handlers to look for more than one type of priority tag, making the "type" the same across an alliance seems like something that *A is already doing, and that perhaps OW is in the process of.