Priority Club Value Naïveté

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Ed Chandler, Jan 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, all,

I'm sure I'm missing something. Help me out, please. IHG isn't my usual brand, so I'm new to Priority Club and I don't "get it" on two fronts:
    1. I keep reading that Cash + Points is the way to go, but there's no significant difference in the per-point value when I do the math on that, and
    2. The per-point value isn't that great anyway.
    Example: Property costs $163.25. Options are:
    • 30k points (Value = $.0054 per point)
    • 25k points + $40 (Value = $.0049 per point)
    • 20k points + $70 (Value = $.0047 per point)
    So, ... whoop-de-frickin'-doo ... there's no real difference and all of them are getting values of about half-a-cent per point, right? Is it only at the "aspirational" properties that you start to see better value per point?
    Thanks up front.

Kalboz, William JLP and MX like this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think for me it is the fact that most of the time I am looking at what I can afford and not what value I am getting out of the points. For a weekend away say I only have 55000 points, the cash difference may make or break whether I can go for the weekend. I probably can afford $80 but $140 for two nights might be out of my budget. I like having the the two cash and points options. Different strokes for different folks.

Kalboz and William JLP like this.
  3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are exceptions to every mantra but an example would have been my hotel from last Sunday night - default rate was $179, AAA rate was $162, award night was 10,000 or points+cash of 5,000+$40. An obvious scenario where paying either revenue rate out-of-pocket would be imprudent.

Kalboz, William JLP and LauraPDX like this.
  4. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to me, just pay with points when you have them...:

5. Depends once again on the situation. Sometimes, for longer stays one can "stretch" the points by using cash and points. 5 nights at an IC @50K points per night could become 6 with cash and points. For instance the IC Park Lane was charging around 350 pounds per night over new years so $200 spent on cash and points would work well in that situation for the 6th night.

uggboy, Kalboz and William JLP like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the new devalued chart coming out it will change the game I'm sure. Stay tuned.

uggboy, Kalboz and William JLP like this.
  7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is sadly going to be correct. Where I really "get" the value in PC is $49 for the free night at any hotel award, and that's still not really comparable to other chains out there. I just stayed at a terribly renovated HI in Clarksville, Indiana (the exterior reminds me of a ghetto housing project and was one of the aspects NOT renovated) and have realized how vastly inconsistent the HI brand is. Crowne Plaza's vary widely as well. I did get a pretty good value out of Cash&points for a stay at a Staybridge near Times Square in Oct 2011, but that was now 2 award chart modifications ago. I've been pretty loyal to the IHG hotels, but after getting the Hilton AmEx, I started staying at Hampton Inn's recently, and have been quite pleased with their consistency over 3-4 different stays in different states.

I feel my loyalty switching to HHonors there after this additional de-valuation, coupled with the lack of elite benefits on award stays at IHG properties. I have heard that Hilton's themselves are a bit inconsistent, but I'm assuming that they're much like the HI properties - they're probably aging, and some have just had facelifts, while others have been completely redone. I like Hampton's better than HI Express', and I seem to be able to find better cash rates on Hampton's with all of the MVP and other discounts offered.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, but at times I have found Hampton to be $25+ more expensive than HI Express, not worth the extra money IMO.

9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found the exact opposite in my recent stays. In fact, I just saved approx $35 at a Hampton for a 3 night stay over the HIE across the street, because I used one of those recent discount rate codes. It ended up being $87 all in/night vs $104+taxes (and using 10% rebate from Mr.Rebates for IHG).

10. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    IHG Pointsbreaks rooms are 5,000 points if you can find one that works for you and don't mind that you are, well, staying in a Holiday Inn, Candlewood, etc. I got two rooms last week for what was essentially $35 worth of points each. Priority Club points seem to work best when you also have the Chase PC Visa - 60-80,000 sign up bonus - which gives you Platinum status and occasional suite upgrades.

11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess the take away here is do your homework as prices can vary a great deal. The Hampton Inn I priced in South Florida was $35 higher than the Holiday Inn Express down the street.

servo likes this.
  12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're absolutely right about Points Breaks being the main benefit of the program. The issue is that I've yet to find one over the last 2 years that has worked for my plans. You almost have to plan a trip around a PB hotel in order to find any value in them, or get incredibly lucky. My wife and I both have the PC Visa, which basically nets us 2 free nights at any Intercontinental (technically any hotel, but for free, we've gotta go big) for $98 a year. That has more value to us than the PB hotels, simply because of their inconvenience to our travel plans.

nacho likes this.
  13. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I normally wouldn't have bothered with the Points Breaks overnight, but I needed to be at an airport first thing in the morning, and staying at the HI Express the night before was preferable to getting up at 4 AM and driving two hours to the airport. It was pure luck that the cheaper option was available. it usually doesn't work out that way.

14. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is another thing about PC - you are not entitled to any perks on point stays. I know some properties still offer that but it's not a must for them. Just bear in mind when you choose to use cash/point.

For a property that is around $170 or 30k points, I'd pay cash because you can get some great properties for 30k pts, or use it for 6 nights at PB.

15. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. Usually I get the perks, but I know they can deny them during any award stay. Always depends on the property.

16. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think 2nd point misses out the overriding plus for the whole program: points can be very very easy to come by. So the true calculation would be dollars spent on hotels to "reward" dollars you are getting out of it. Sometimes it gets ridiculous with all the promotions stacking.

guinnessxyz and CescoAiel like this.
  17. Agreed.....I earned more points on bonuses and CC charges last year than I did on stays.