Priority boarding via Alaska or Delta?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by deosola, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do I get priority boarding on an AA flight if I have "elite" level status on both Alaska Airlines and Delta? Is it automatic and shown on the boarding pass? Or do I have to show my card when elite status boarding is called?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Your Delta (DL) status won't get you anywhere with AA, so you should focus on using your Alaska (AS) status.

When you book your AA flight, just enter your AS FFer number and you should be set with the benefits listed on this page: LINK.

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  3. deosola

deosola Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh really. . .thanks for the tip. I will book w/my AS #.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other way around but I was flying DL today using my AS status. Checked in on phone app but couldn't get a mobile BP. Kiosk wouldn't print BP either. Turns out Y was oversold and I had to go to the counter as they had switched seats. They call back to the gate and say "another Medallion member with no seat!". In their system it shows equivalent Medallion status even though it's the AS number. Funny, but nice being treated the same.

rwoman likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    HA - no seat just like all their own status peoples. Nice! Funny? Ummmmmm... depends where they ended up seating you?

6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a chuckle at the thought of all airlines recognizing each others elite status levels. Especially at a recently merged airline, which is based in Chicago (not going to mention any names) but the amount of whining from the top level elites about carpets and allowing "low level" elites to board early, their heads (and the FT message board) would explode if top level elites from other airlines were allowed to board early.

7. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    While worrying about red or blue carpets is certainly just nostalgia/refusing to change, there are many legitimate problems and gripes. Don't instantly dismiss the rest of the complaints until you've walked in their shoes. UA boarding process has taken a fairly significant nose dive (UA wants to push credit cards using "priority boarding" and of course that doesn't work when the priority boarding really means group 5 on the regular lane - so they make half of the plane board via the "fast" lane and don't mention that priority really means group 5. As such you have half of the plane blocking the fast lane trying to get on.)

8. Photonerd71

Status Points:

Sorry I do dismiss 90% of the whining as nonsense. Right now there is a thread with (as I type this) about 240 responses dealing with a supposed devaluation of MM benefits. I can just imagine how many posts there would be if all of a sudden UA started letting EXP's, flying over there for whatever reason, have early boarding, E+seats, free upgrades etc etc.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my originally reserved seat. And they walked one girl off the plane (not my seat) because it was oversold and lots of folks had duplicate BP's, etc. (which I honestly don't understand how it happens - not very secure).

10. Photonerd71

Status Points:

That would suck. Get your bag all settled in the overhead bin, book ready, iPod and headphones ready and..........sorry sir you have to get off the plane please come with me.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering there was no seat for her, all she had to do was pull her bag out of the overhead (she'd placed it in the first available one which happened to be right at 2L. Kudos to her - she didn't argue a bit when told there was no seat for her and she was asked to deboard and work with the agent. She didn't look happy, mind you, but no hissy fit. Very professional and polite, which means she's likely to get a lot more help from that GA than had she decided to act the fool.

The learning experience for me is that checkin means less on Delta than it does on AA. On AA, I'm checked in, I'm checked in - there's no problem getting a boarding pass, even 12 minutes before the flight. Delta, however, wants you to have a boarding pass 30 minutes before the flight - if not, they'll consider you not checked in. So while the Delta app showed me checked in, my seat was already "in play" 30 minutes before takeoff since I didn't actually have a boarding pass. It's a problem they fixed, but I'd have never known it would have been a problem until it happened today on this full flight. It's good for me to remember next time - make sure I get a BP, or get there before 30 minutes before the flight to GET a BP.

12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Wow. I haven't flown Delta in 20 years (and that was a ticket uncle Sam bought me). Guess I'll stick with what i know.

13. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I fly on AS (as AA EXP), my BP has something along the line of "AA EXEC #XYZ123". Interestingly enough, my colleague who is an AA GLD has nothing other than his AA FF number on the BP.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you get.priority boarding (the point of this thread), right?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint