Printing from a tablet? Android, ipad and printer share

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by estnet, Jul 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I downloaded the free version of printershare which ONLY lets you print 1 page - a test page. Okay they want you to pay. Got lots of good reviews BUT no apparent cs. I emailed asking if I have to buy a key for each of my android tablets/phones and if I have to buy a separate one for the ipad version. No answer.

At $13/per this adds up very quickly with 6ish tablets. Does anyone know - or better yet have a suggestion for printing from android and ipad on a wifi network.

I tried cloudprinter (android only) but this seems to require regular computer running google browser to act as a ?printserver. I'd like something that can print directly from my tablet to the printer without buying a new printer.

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    HP ePrint enabled printers have all worked flawlessly on my iOS devices when I have needed to print.

desamo and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an HP Envy and this works great. You can email documents to the printer or use Google Cloud Print to send the documents over from your phone / tablet over to the printer.

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but my current printer doesn't have this ability and I am trying to avoid buying a new printer. I do realize that the newer printers have functions mine doesn't

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if you use Chrome you can use Cloud Print though. You basically enable the connector and you can print to a "classic printer" at home from any Chrome browser -- or at least that's the way I understand it to work when your printer is not "cloud friendly"

estnet likes this.
  6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a printer(s) connected to a Mac or Windows PC these two awesome programs will allow tablets/phones (iOS, Android) to print to ANY printer connected to your computer. Means you have to be where your computer is though, unless you use Cloud Print which Presto supports.

Printopia, for Mac only: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

Presto for Mac or PC: http://www.collobos.com

Great stuff, really. Free to try.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    My problem is just that - I have to have the computer which has chrome on - can't just print from the tablet without the notebook. If this is the case I might as well just print directly from the notebook:rolleyes: This is of limited use to me - being able to print directly (via wifi network) from my tablet with no other computer involved (and without the need to buy a new printer - which may be the backup plan)

8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the poster meant Chrome on the tablet, not on your notebook?
    I think Presto might be your solution then. It's free for up to 3 clients so easy to try.

estnet likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but the same issue.If I have the computer I don't need to printer from the tablet.

I don't think my android tablets (nor my ipad) support chrome as a browser - am I wrong about this?
    I'll take a look at Presto

10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Android and iOS support Chrome as a browser.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just HP. Here's the AirPrint setup support page. Works with all apps that support printing.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/airprint/

12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many printer manufacturers provide apps you can install which allow you to print certain things to their wireless printers even if the printer doesn't support AirPrint. So in many cases you don't need AirPrint at all -- but needing an app from every printer manufacturer and living with each app's limitations does get a bit tedious.

13. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a brother printer, so I just googled " brother android printer app" There is one for me and easy to add.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Right -- there are other ways of solving the problem, but I just bought an additional AirPrint printer that I use only for the occasional iPad printing. :)

15. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me preface by saying I realize you don't want to buy a new printer, and I don't know what printer you have currently, or how much printing you do.

But when I bought my AirPrint enabled printer, I had not head into the store with the notion to buy a printer, but to just get some replacement ink. I was about to check out when I realized that I could get a brand new printer for less than 25 bucks opportunity cost. Now if you print a lot this, a basic printer that practically costs less than the ink might not be the best solution, but for an occasional print, from anywhere, on all the devices I require, four years later that decision was a no brainer.

16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Printershare is free on amazon app today (alerted by TOBB) so problem solved. (altho not for the ipad - but I use android a lot more - I have 4 android tablets and one android phone so I can live without ipad printing).
    adam - I don't print a lot and just got a ink refill at costco for $8 so spending 75-100 for a new printer (which will then use ink at a high rate and cost a lot for ink refilss since most printers have gone to separate color cartridges which cost a lot more than the 3 color ones used to) was not high on my wish list

viguera likes this.