Prime directive: Thou shalt not discuss moderation?

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by lax, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:
    Will the milepoint prime directive be that moderator action can never be discussed? Will moderators banish people without public explanation? This change must come from the top, Randy himself must behave with greater openness and tolerance of dissent.

2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Perhaps you should read a few of Randy's posts on this new forum.

Or in other words, moot point. Without moderators, complaining about moderators seems kind of unnecessary.

2soonold and Chimpy like this.
  3. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:
    link?

WormHole likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    First of all, Welcome. If you have something to complain about regarding MilePoint, I'd love to hear it. If you have luggage to check, please check it before participating here. I can't speak for the 98%+ of all online forums who operate on the principle that members who earn suspensions are not fodder for public flogging or the anal inspection of who wears the halo—you'll have to ask them. As for here, our members and myself are trying to build a friendly place for frequent flyers and if you don't mind, I'd like to return to that chore. Thank you, and please let me know if there is anything relevant to MilePoint I can assist you with.

5. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:
    same ole Randy.

AroundTheWorld, WormHole and jpatokal like this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's moderation, perhaps there should be a public forum where
    moderation is discussed - but well outside the normal MP places,
    which should be neutral ground.

7. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And that "same ole Randy" is exactly the reason that 99.9% of us are here.

We kinda like the "same ole Randy". :)

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy Petersen writes:

Empahsis added.

That would be a very good thing. For a long time FT was the only BB I had ever visited, so at first I thought the problems that arose from "policing" were specific FT problems. Then as I branched out onto the interenet it became apparent that those problems are endemic to BB policing.

All BBs seem to start off with one or two policemen who stay busy getting rid of the real criminals and are everybody's heros. Then they add more police people, usually very active members who really do want to contribute and spend most of their lives on the internet. A point is reached when there are too many police and not enough real criminals, so the police start moving posts around, merging threads, and creating crimes just to show that they are devoted to the cause, people start screaming "police brutality" and a donneybrook ensues.

One very large (666,428 members) ,15-year-old website that appears to have avoided this syndrome is Cruise Critic. I think that the gal who runs it (Laura) and Randy are friends from the old, old days so maybe he can get some input from her on how this is accomplished. Maybe he already has. ;)

In any event, I am very happy to see that the goal is to avoid this type of situation on MP.

AmericanGirl and 2soonold like this.
  9. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very happy to hear of this approach, and hope it works out as planned. Moderator whimsy has been my biggest puzzlement about FT. One very important function the good moderators served was to keep things generally swept up and tidy, merging multiple threads on the same topic, moving things that were clearly misplaced, etc. I hope this can be accomplished.

doc, jpatokal, 2soonold and 1 other person like this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seemed to work well on the DL FT forum until the mods started closing that thread during the later stages of the merger. One day I looked for it and the "premature evacuation" thread had disappeared.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, certain opinions were not allowed to be expressed on certain fora.

Also, I saw cases where threads were merged or turned into master threads and mods decided which posts to drop as not being significantly worthwhile or informative (not an OT issue).

Yet another example was the trial lounge thread started in community which was locked permanently (not merged) as the mods created their own new lounge thread, where I then never wanted to post.

I hope I'm not violating the rules by discussing moderation on FT here. Someone please delete if the last example here is too specific.

jpatokal likes this.
  12. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    cruisecritic is a joke compared to FT.

dont really understand the "there are no moderators" but i think part of the confusion is beta vs launch.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    We don't encourage MilePoint to be a place to focus on topic like this, especially as it relates to another website. If moderation on FT is a concern, I'll step forward and assume that responsibility (and blame if necessary) since it reflects my time spent there and I'll also defend the moderators there. This hopefully makes for a short conversation and allows us to focus on how we can do things differently and hopefully with your support create an atmosphere around this topic unique for MilePoint. I'm kind of in the camp that what happens of FlyerTalk stays on FlyerTalk. Having said this i totally understand the conversation and you are all still good by me. Thanks.

14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice."
    Thomas Paine

Moderation in all things, including moderation."
    Petronius​

It is the sign of a great spirit to be moderate in prosperity.
    Seneca the Elder​

(don't mind me, I'm just confused, bewitched, bothered and bewildered)​

kokonutz and 2soonold like this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just know that those who may be missing one day without explanation have gone to Carousel. :D

1st RULE: You do not talk about Carousel.
    2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about Carousel.

WormHole and Chimpy like this.
  16. SoFlyOn
    Original Member

SoFlyOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    But on MP you can be reborn!
    Loganlifeclock.jpg

17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear some people talk about drinking in moderation. Sounds crazy talk to me. Is that what this thread is about?

doc, chrislacey, BamaGirl and 4 others like this.
  18. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's all I can figure it's about.

19. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    There were a few posts in it this morning.

20. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    moderation is one of those things that no one really wants to do and yet everyone has an opinion about. i have been in the moderators position for what seems like an eternity (6+ yrs) on a fandom site. some days are tougher than others.

moderation is only needed when people just don't understand the concept of "agreeing to disagree" or "taking the higher road" by letting things go. it is easy when sites are small and everyone is one not-so big, happy family but then the influx of new posters happens. some of the new posters are great contributions to the site, others, well they are only there to cause trouble.

IMO moderation should not be subject to full disclosure. do trolls really need to be discussed after they are ejected from the site? do people who stalk your members and harass them in unwelcome ways need to be given more chances to prey on others? there are many instances where people would approach me to ask where so and so went or why were they disciplined, things that i could not discuss.

do i want to have moderators on here? yes and no. the internet savvy person in me self moderates what i post so that others hopefully don't have a problem with the content of my posts. the rebel in me wants to be able to post whatever the *bleep* i want to, whenever i want. but the former wins. mainly b/c in RL you just can't go around telling people they are idiots for not agreeing with you etc.

moderation is not a bad thing unless said moderators are unable to see it from a truly impartial view. in my experience there were many times where i had to be fair even though i really wanted to just blast the poster out of the airlock. it is much like being an arbiter or some other profession where you must look solely at the facts and not let your personal feelings get in the way. not an easy task for those that have never had to actually do it.

i realize this is a lengthy post. go ahead, comment. TL;DR [​IMG]

the bottom line here is this is Randy's site. he makes the rules. we obey them or we stop posting here. seems pretty simple to me. in a perfect internet world, everyone would behave, be polite and not incite riots between posters or bring up subjects that most people seem incapable of discussing without rudeness. i am hoping that this site will be different from others. why, yes, i am one of those pesky optimists. [​IMG] is that a problem? LOL

essxjay, doc, tom911 and 2 others like this.
  21. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks Blue Skye, we agree to agree and as you say, "is that a problem?" Appreciate the experience you share here, both as a member with something to share and as a Moderator elsewhere with an observation to share. We are taking a different approach to Moderation on MilePoint and that is based upon listening.

22. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    i actually enjoy doing it. i like organization, and dont like trolling, although i have never moderated anyone for trolling me.

23. Just one person's opinion. The moderator tyranny on TOBB created by the "thou shalt not discuss moderation" policy - thus, no accountability or transparency around mod actions - thus enabling mods to do whatever they pleased - was what wrecked, for me, the user experience at an otherwise awesome IBB. Understand the need to police spam, flaming, swearing, etc. But just build that into the IBB software. Slamming someone for being an idiot or posting off topic ... let the public do that in a fair fashion. That's part of open and fair dialogue.

24. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:
    This site will be no different ultimately because it is controlled by someone that is tempermantally ill suited to lead a community. A man with a weird Rush Limbaugh like fixation on the anus who belittles members wanting to know what happenned to longtime friends like JonNYC as anal inspection. A man who does not respond to the well articulated analysis by punki of moderators inventing reasons for their utility. A man who issued the dictate that elected leaders have no role in moderation. A man who tolerates rampant thread closures and post deletions due to moderator pique. George Washington he is not. Closer to Hosni Mubarak.

25. lax
    Original Member

lax Active Member

Status Points:
    this thread is closed pending moderator review

AroundTheWorld and doc like this.