Priceline Visa changes/improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by traveltoomuch, Apr 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Barclay Priceline card recently made some changes. Assuming you do some amount of Priceline bookings, the "2%" version of the card now gives an effective 8.33% cash back on Priceline bookings and 3.33% cash back on everything else, with no foreign transaction fees!

Text of the changes, with commentary:
    • "Get 10% of your points back when you redeem for statement credits on purchases at priceline.com and on other travel purchases." Yay!
    • "No foreign transaction fees." Yay!
    • "Redeem points for statement credits against any purchases of $25 or more made within the last 120 days." This is huge. Before, we only had 30-90 days, and the redemption had to be for the full amount of the purchase.
    • "Points are worth more when you redeem against any eligible priceline.com transaction." Before, we got 1.1 to 1.5 cents per point when redeeming for Priceline purchases, but Barclay had never published a chart showing the rates. They still haven't published a chart, but...
    Today's concrete example: I was offered a $25 statement credit for 1667 points or a $50 statement credit for 3333 points, both nominally against a NYOP purchase. On top of that, they then "rebate" 10% of the points. And I could redeem for a $50 or $25 credit even though I didn't have enough points to redeem for the whole amount of the Priceline purchase. That's a redemption value of 1.67 cents/point independent of transaction size.

For those who still have the 2% version of the card and who do any amount of Priceline spend, this could act as a 3.33% cash back card with no foreign transaction fees. This card is about to earn a place in my wallet again.

Here's the only article I have seen on the changes:
    http://www.creditcardwatcher.com/pr...s-making-grandfathered-2-version-even-better/

(Post updated to reflect the 10% rebate.)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Mikus33, miles and smiles and MX like this.