Priceline Visa changes/improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by traveltoomuch, Apr 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

The Barclay Priceline card recently made some changes. Assuming you do some amount of Priceline bookings, the "2%" version of the card now gives an effective 8.33% cash back on Priceline bookings and 3.33% cash back on everything else, with no foreign transaction fees!

Text of the changes, with commentary:
    • "Get 10% of your points back when you redeem for statement credits on purchases at and on other travel purchases." Yay!
    • "No foreign transaction fees." Yay!
    • "Redeem points for statement credits against any purchases of $25 or more made within the last 120 days." This is huge. Before, we only had 30-90 days, and the redemption had to be for the full amount of the purchase.
    • "Points are worth more when you redeem against any eligible transaction." Before, we got 1.1 to 1.5 cents per point when redeeming for Priceline purchases, but Barclay had never published a chart showing the rates. They still haven't published a chart, but...
    Today's concrete example: I was offered a $25 statement credit for 1667 points or a $50 statement credit for 3333 points, both nominally against a NYOP purchase. On top of that, they then "rebate" 10% of the points. And I could redeem for a $50 or $25 credit even though I didn't have enough points to redeem for the whole amount of the Priceline purchase. That's a redemption value of 1.67 cents/point independent of transaction size.

For those who still have the 2% version of the card and who do any amount of Priceline spend, this could act as a 3.33% cash back card with no foreign transaction fees. This card is about to earn a place in my wallet again.

Here's the only article I have seen on the changes:

(Post updated to reflect the 10% rebate.)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    Mikus33, miles and smiles and MX like this.