Priceline moving from bidding to fixed discount model (?) <Wash. Post>

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jenny & Curt, Jan 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the Washington Post, Monday (January 23, 2012) Priceline will begin airing a commercial in which William Shatner, as the Negotiator, is killed in a fiery wreck. Before his death, he tells people they don't "have to" bid anymore -- that Priceline has fixed discounts. Sounds like Name Your Own Price is going away...?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...iceline-video/2012/01/20/gIQADFuHEQ_blog.html

sobore likes this.
  2. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they don't kill Name Your own Price.

MLW20 and YULtide like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be big news, and kind of sad. I saved a lot of money that way and got to experience some hotels I probably wouldn't have stayed in otherwise.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's just see how good the 'fixed discount' is, are they going to be that much lower than the other booking sites?

canucklehead likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume they'll still be an opaque site, just that they are the ones offering you a take it or leave it deal for an unknown property?

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    They killed Shatner "The Negotiator"? :eek:

mailbroad, katstarr and davef139 like this.
  7. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows? ... maybe time will tell they killed Priceline.;)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they figure that while they may lose some hardcore PLers who spend a lot of energy finding the best deal, they gain a lot of more casual customers who fear they would bid too high and thus not get a very good deal. I personally have rarely looked at PL and over the years only booked one or two car rentals through them.

2soonold likes this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sites like betterbidding.com help with getting the hotel you want at the lowest price point possible. When I've used it I've rarely walked away unhappy with what I paid and what I got.

traveltoomuch and MLW20 like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know about betterbidding etc., but it's extra work that needs to be balanced with the savings and the loss of mile/point/status earnings.

2soonold likes this.
  11. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Priceline experience often got me a poor room in a good hotel, and I was satisfied. But I have never gotten a satisfactory car rental. That may have to do with the market I was trying to rent in.
    At any rate, it is their business and I am just a consumer. If the new tatic is successful , perhaps we will all read about it in a business magazine on the rack at our local Borders.;)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I remember one Priceline Rental where I got a brandnew Toyota Prius from either Hertz or Avis at ONT airport. Contrast that with the Chevy Aveo or Kia something-or-another tin-can that I get as a Hertz Gold member with my regular rentals (admittedly, I tend to book the cheapest category of cars as it's usually just local transportation ... if I know I'll be driving longer distances, I book a better car). So for me, car rentals are the type of travel purchase where I care the least about what I get and who I rent from. Though with Hertz Gold I don't have to stand in line at the counter, so I do factor that in. $20 saved for a 45 min wait at 11pm after traveling all day isn't quite worth it for me.

Heh, yes :)

2soonold likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Easier for me because I don't do the hotel earning thing. Taboo on MP, I know, but it's true! :)

harvson3 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  14. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had overall positive experiences using Priceline. I hope that the bidding option does not go away.

katstarr likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folks,

I think you're missing the point. Go to Priceline.com You've always been given the option to make a purchase the same way you can make a purchase at Expedia, Kayak, and Orbitz. I'm guessing (unless I'm missing the point), that priceline is trying to steal business from other online wholesalers that offer full price options.

SC Flier, mailbroad and canucklehead like this.
  16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like Priceline is adopting the Hotwire model. That could be a dangerous move.

mailbroad and katstarr like this.
  17. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just watched the commercial (on the WP site). I read it as just marketing their fixed-price side of the house. If they were getting rid of NYOP, I'd expect a press release to precede the commercial. There's nothing on the investor relations portion of their site about NYOP going away.

I find NYOP to be very valuable. I've had years when I had 80 room nights booked through NYOP. I'd be sad to see it go away.

18. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the owner of a Priceline forum (www.hoteldealsrevealed.com) I would be sad to see NYOP go. PL has started to show amenities but they are kicking butt compared to Hotwire. I use ( or attempt) NYOP everytime I need a hotel.