Price matching?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by chef4u, Aug 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking at rates for EWR from 11/24 - 11/27, and it looks like Hertz has the lowest rates during this time frame (Thanksgiving). I much prefer to use National and was wondering if they would match Hertz's prices. Any assisitance/imsight would be appreciated.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't hurt to call and ask, first the national (elite) reservation number--some Hertz agents have discount codes that they can apply to a phone reservation when they want--and then the station assistant manager.

3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called National and no price matching option is available. Looks like I will go with Hertz and monitor National for a better rate.

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always negotiated with the local agents as I've never got anywhere when calling an agent at corp. Agents at corp seem to be bound very tightly by rules. Local agents have more of a vested interest in getting you into a car. I'd call the local branch, it is only a few minutes of your time.

chef4u likes this.
  5. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something for me to consider. Thanks for the advice

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had Hertz #1 Gold phone agents volunteer to get me a lower price when I asked why a rental was so expensive. I then asked why they didn't give me the lower price first and was told that they had applied some limited discount code that they could use for some customers. That is why I suggested asking the national phone reservation line as well as the local office, where I suggested the assistant manager in a busy airport location.

7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    good to know!