Price Adjustment to a Prepaid Room?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by edekba, May 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All, I looked around but Couldn't really find an answer. Basically I booked a night @ the W Seattle in June for one night and paid ~$190 prepaid rate. However checking SPG.com today; the prepaid rate is now only $179.

My thoughts were that advance prepaid rates were the lowest and would be the lowest. Doesn't make sense to prepay for something and have the rate go down... only if the rate goes up. I understand not doing prepaid if the trip or your choice is still pending; but once everything is done and settled... why not book a prepaid if you know you're going to stay there & thus having the lowest price (or so I thought).

Would the Hotel or SPG be able to give me an adjustment or something? The reservation already posted to my SPG Amex too...

2. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happened to me at theSheraton Xian. I contacted first corporrate, then the hotel drectly and got the lower rate.

3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me recently. SPG said they'd make an "exception" this time. Might as well go on SPG and chat with them-it couldn't hurt.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all.

I called Starwood. They said they can't do anything and for me to call sales dept at the hotel since Starwood can't adjust rates and it's set independently via the hotel themselves.

Call the hotel & got transferred to reservation desk. She told me that prepaid rate can change based upon the expected number of guests and that she too can not do anything about it. She advised me to call the hotel again & ask to speak to the front desk mgr.

Called again to the hotel and got transferred to the right person. She looked at my reservation and said she would be able to adjust it, but since the deposit already posted to my card she would use the balance difference as incidentals and if anything i charge while at the hotel, the balance would be applied.

Overall pretty happy. Thanks again.

Scott Schmidt likes this.
  5. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If at first you don't succeed, call, call again.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were lucky; the hotel voluntarily did you a favor.

7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do you say that?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prepaid is supposedly nonrefundable and nonchangeable. That's why you get the cheaper rate as part of the contract. Unlike most nonrefundable airfares, there's no provision for changing with or without a fee for any reason, including a rate drop.

flyer_o likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand that a Prepaid rate is like a contract; but to me it just doesnt make sense for the hotel to lower the price of the prepaid. The prepaid should be the lowest price offered regardless. Get people to buy into the hotel/rate using the notion that it will be the lowest price but then if you cancel or need to change it; you're out of luck.

To me it just doesnt make sense anymore to book prepaid if the hotel can/will change the prepaid price down later on. If the hotel adjusts it up; that's understandable ... but down is unacceptable to me. my 2 cents i guess.