Presidents Club age requirement for *G

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harry0233, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    PC recently changed its age requirement for *G members. You don't have to be 21 to gain access. I'm not sure about RCC members. PC members still need to be 21.

HTML:
    CO DATA PAGE      PCLUB ADMITTANCE      CAT:CAL SUB:PCM PGE:ELG\
     65 STAR ALLIANCE GOLD MEMBERS:                                \
     66   ELIGIBILITY TO STAR ALLIANCE MEMBER LOUNGES:             \
     67   - MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER FOR ADMITTANCE.       \
     68   - WHEN TRAVELING INTL ON A STAR ALLIANCE MEMBER-OPERATED \
     69     FLIGHT, ELIGIBLE STAR ALLIANCE GOLD ELITE MEMBERS      \
     70     /OP PLAT AND GOLD MEMBERS/ MAY VISIT DESIGNATED STAR   \
     71     ALLIANCE MEMBER LOUNGES.                               \
     72   - CO, UA AND US STAR ALLIANCE GOLD ELITE MEMBERS MAY     \
     73     ACCESS ANY PRESIDENTS CLUB, RED CARPET CLUB AND US     \
     74     AIRWAYS CLUB ON THE DAY OF DEPARTURE WITH A STAR       \
     75     ALLIANCE INTL ITINERARY.                               \
     76   - CO STAR ALLIANCE GOLD ELITE MEMBERS MAY ACCESS OTHER   \
     77     STAR ALLIANCE MEMBER LOUNGES BEFORE AN INTERNATIONAL   \
    ENTER G* FOR MORE>

2. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    good to hear! Though, I never had an issue using the PC when I was under 21 nor RCC

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always appreciate factual info like this, especially with reference to the actual CO doc/profile.

4. auh2o
    Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I was a RCC member at 16 (my own membership). I guess times have changed.

5. Will there still be access with an Economy ticket upon return (outbound is okay) to US from International ? I understand RCC is sometimes enforcing no access for RCC. Only *G with an International Business or First class ticket.

6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It says, "before" and "day of departure" which does not imply access after. ;)ne could argue that if one arrives on the same day as departure one should be admitted based on this, though.

7. UA 1KVoice customer service advised me that for RCC, that is the policy with *G.

I was denied access in December to the RCC at EWR. I then went to PC and was let in :p

PC is so much nicer than RCC anyway !

8. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They should let you in regardless of your destination, as long as you are on a *A flight
    Agreed. PC has better selection of free alcohol.

9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could not get a membership to the PClub until you were 21 because of the liquor license. I would assume that the RCC would also refuse to see a membership to anyone under 21 since they now have free liquor as well. Any age can be admitted.

10. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    RCC is 18 years or older.
    http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,52713,00.html?navSource=rccMemb&linkTitle=rccTerms

RCC does card ID people. It is a better policy IMO, since they will not turn young elite away, at the same time they follow the law.

11. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surely there is some clause there that says it is okay for under-18s when accompanied by an adult? It doesn't show in the rules above, but I know that this is SOP.

12. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    only *G (and possibly RRC) policy change so you are fine

13. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I'm a little concerned about it as a *G policy change. We've had our kids (both *G) guest in their grandparents in the past.

14. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on my experience, they should be fine. One time when I was denied access, they asked a stranger to come to the lounge with me and it worked.

15. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never had problems DRINKING in a PC at 16 [​IMG] and I didn't look old, but I'm sure that's all changed by now.

16. ConciergeMike
    Original Member

ConciergeMike Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to this. I very fondly remember spending part of a Christmas morning at the PClub in FLL getting a buzz on before my flight home...I might have been 16 or 17. I got space-available F that morning too, and the PClub agent didn't take the certificate. Maybe she thought I was cute or something.

harry0233 likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The age thing applies if you're going in on your own, not with an adult chaperoning you.

18. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

FriendlySkies and rggale like this.
  19. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not an expert on CO lounges but at some DL clubs, the alcohol is self service so it would be hard to card someone once they are in the lounge, thus the 21 age limit. Are there any domestic US PC's with self serve?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    N.one that I know of. I think that HNL was but it no longer exists. I don't think any others have been.

21. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for a membership to the RCC when I turned 18. Never had any problems at any of the RCCs. First time I tried to access the PC, I was given access, but the matron played this little game of walking past me, pretending that she was watching that I did not drink... I sat there for two hours, doing nothing.

22. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is incorrect. It's same-day. Lines 72-75 are correct. The *A rules say something like same day BP "in conjunction" with an international flight (which means connections).

Maybe EWR RCC isn't (wasn't) familiar with the inbound connections. They hopefully should be by now.

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You mean the UA folks make mistakes some times? I didn't think that was possible. ;)

The uncertain part in this case is if there was onward travel on *A metal or not. If not then you do not get access. If there is then you do.

the_happiness_store and piqaro like this.
  24. Unfortunately, 1K voice echoed what the EWR RCC told me. They say its a rule that was not previously enforced and each club can make this decision as necessary. The metal and ticket stock doesn't matter. Essentially, if you are like me and always got in, then be happy you did :p

Thank you for contacting us again. Your email was forwarded to me for response.
    I have reviewed the past correspondence and your concerns and show that my colleague did review United's policy regarding the Red Carpet Club. If you are a Star Alliance Gold Member and have a ticket purchased in conjunction with business or first class for an international flight, you are allowed admission into the Red Carpet Club without charge. In the case of the return flight, you are allowed admission into the Red Carpet Club in the international location but not in the domestic clubs. She has sent a report over to our airport lounge/Red Carpet Club department for their review. They use passenger’s feedback when deciding on improvements or policy changes.
    We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.
    Regards,

United Airlines Customer Relations

25. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course they do. Everyone makes mistakes.

Good point.

I still think the EWR club (and the 1K voice response) was incorrect. The no entry on onward travel rule is applicable to business class bookings (they don't have to let you in), but Star Gold customers get in when they're flying "in conjunction" with an international flight. A connecting *A flight is certainly in conjunction with their international portion.

Sounds like 1K voice is taking a page from CO's WE CARE on this one and BS'ing to dispose of the issue. ;)

piqaro likes this.